Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Introduction...James L. Grider  (Read 1909 times)

Offline grider3

Introduction...James L. Grider
on: June 27, 2014, 01:09:12 PM
My name is James L. Grider III. At the early age of 6, I discovered my ability to play

music by ear by playing the Star Spangled Banner on a keyboard displayed in a retail store.

Amazed at what she saw, my mother bought me that very keyboard on the spot. This musical tool

became my runway to take flight as a pianist. By replicating the songs that were pre­programmed

on the keyboard, I was unknowingly teaching myself how to play. Over time, my awareness of the

key locations and tones grew to be more natural and unified. The more time I spent with my

keyboard, the easier it became to play more advanced songs. About a year ago, I began

composing my own music. Still unable to read or write notes, I simply play what I feel. Since I

began composing, I have released and distributed my first album titled "Do It For Love," and held

a piano concert where I played my album for others to enjoy. The piano has always, and will

always be, my most valuable medium for expressing my emotions through music.

Check out some of my links...Please comment or any pointers:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/James-L-Grider-III/1389578741276947?ref_type=bookmark

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/do-it-for-love/id745643255

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Re: Introduction...James L. Grider
Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 02:05:05 PM
About a year ago, I began composing my own music. Still unable to read or write notes, I simply play what I feel.

How did you begin composing if you were unable to read or write notes? Composing means writing out finished compositions for others to play. Simply playing what you feel is called improvisation.

Please clarify: about a year ago, did you begin composing, or did you begin improvising?

Offline grider3

Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 02:36:11 PM
The concept of having a song with notes that is played the same way every time is a composition, the literal definition is writing it out, my songs are still compositions, they just havent been transposed into sheet music.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 03:55:29 PM
The concept of having a song with notes that is played the same way every time is a composition,

Chopin never played his compositions the same way twice! They were compositions because he wrote them down, but each time he played them he would interpret the music differently.

Did you play any Chopin before you started composing?

Did you play any other composers before you started composing?

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 04:10:20 PM
Awesome_o, while I almost agree with you, don't forget the Gregorian chants. They were very rarely written down, yet, people consider them compositions. It was only much later they were written down. One can argue whether the more advanced music needed it, or if music became more advanced because of it. Most people agree on the latter, and since this music isn't very advanced, there is not really any need to write it down.

Offline grider3

Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 04:14:22 PM
here's what i did... I learned to play as a kid by just pressing any randon keys... by chance, I was able to pick out a series of 3 notes i hit, the first 3 nots of the star spangled banner.. i built on that one note at a time until i played the song.

after I realized that I could replicate more complicated songs, i began listening to actual piano songs, the first artist I discovered was Yiruma.. and the first actual song I replicated was "the river flows in you."... i continued to listen to songs and try to play them, eventually adding my own twists and variations.

once I had a good hold on this, I decided to try to create my own song. I resorted back to my original method of just playing notes chaotically in no order, picking out certain notes that I liked, and felt sounded good together.

By building on these sounds, almost like building a house brick by brick, I completed my first ever composition titled "When The Mask Comes Off"

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 10:28:47 PM
The concept of having a song with notes that is played the same way every time is a composition, the literal definition is writing it out, my songs are still compositions, they just havent been transposed into sheet music.

I think you meant to say they haven't been 'transcribed' into sheet music. 'Transpose' means to play a song in a different key from the one it was written in originally  :)

Offline grider3

Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 10:49:51 PM
You're absolutely correct. Thank you for the correction.

Offline grider3

Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 10:55:32 PM
Do you have any suggestions on recording methods to give good sound quality using a keyboard? I know it would sound a lot better on a real piano but I can't afford one at the present moment. Looking to improve the quality enough to get pandora to accept it. Struggling to find cheap alternatives to a recording studio.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 01:19:17 PM
Do you have any suggestions on recording methods to give good sound quality using a keyboard?

No. I don't use keyboards, so I cannot help you.

I recommend you write out your music as soon as possible! That way, if anything terrible should happen to you (God forbid), like getting run over by a bus, your music won't be lost to the world forever.

Offline grider3

Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 03:34:26 PM
I agree 100% Up to this point I have only been able to document my music through recording it.. But that will only get me so far.. In addition to the risk of my music being lost, not having it transcribed prevents anyone else from being able to play it (unless they can replicate it by ear.) As you can imagine, the beginning stages of this type of career are difficult in terms of finances; however, as soon as I can, I plan on either hiring someone to transcribe my music, or buying a program that can do so. Thank you for your advice, I appreciate your input, and do plan on making use of it!

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 03:53:40 PM
as soon as I can, I plan on either hiring someone to transcribe my music, or buying a program that can do so.

Why don't you learn how to do it by yourself?

Offline grider3

Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 04:06:21 PM
that actually would give me something to do, and help me in many ways with my music. I feel that in order to fully appreciate the music I play, you might actually have a good point.. it is something I will definitely look into. Unfortunately, I do not have money for classes, or lessons. Taking this into consideration, do you have any suggestions, maybe a book or something, that might help me learn? Learning to play by ear, I never learned ANY of the notes.. so as far as transcribing, I am pretty much at the most basic level I can be.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 04:09:41 PM
Do a bit of ear-training, and learn the basics of music notation. There should be plenty of resources on the internet to help you that won't cost any

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 04:12:20 PM
Do a bit of ear-training, and learn the basics of music notation. There should be plenty of resources on the internet to help you that won't cost any money. Once you know basic rudiments (stuff like key signatures, how to draw a staff and clefs, note values) then you can move on to more advanced stuff, like harmony and counterpoint.

Offline grider3

Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 04:17:29 PM
I have already found a few things as we speak. It may be a while until I am able to transcribe my songs in their totality, but I am now on my way. Again, thank you for the advice. I am grateful that you took the time to express these ideas. If you have anything else to offer, please feel free, at anytime, to contact me. My aim is to better myself as a pianist, in any way possible. You have already helped me in this way, if only by the value of your advice. thank you.

Offline coda_colossale

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 05:41:11 PM
I recommend you, after you learn notation, to try to perfect your ability to recognize melodic and harmonic intervals -which will take a few months- and learn about classical&jazz harmony with adventurous stuff like chord substitutions, altered chords etc. Also, Chopin's (and Field's) Nocturnes are much more sophisticated grandfathers of this style. I think it will be to your benefit study those with paying attention to left hand accompaniments and how the melodies are developed. If you're willing to learn and pm me your e-mail address, I'll be more than happy to share with you numerous e-books I have about composition and theory.

Offline grider3

Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 06:08:01 PM
Thank you for sharing these suggestions. I am more than willing to learn. I am looking for any way I can to better myself as a pianist. I am loosely familiar with some of the things you mentioned, but if you feel it would be worth diving deeper into, then I am eager to learn. It can do nothing but help me, and I will never pass an opportunity to make my work better, through variations, chord substitutions, altered chords etc.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert