Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: playing for others  (Read 1186 times)

Offline pianoplayer51

• PS Silver Member
playing for others
on: June 29, 2014, 02:54:49 PM
When I play something at home by myself I play it well.  Wgrn I play for my teacher I play well.  As soon as I play for a group of people I play so badly it makes me look as if I don't know what I'm doing and my hands shake. Why is it and why does it only happen in front of an audience?. I have been playing a few years now but if you didnt know that when you listen to me play for a group you woukd assume I had never sat at a piano before.  How do I get over this because I know I am capable.

Offline stevensk

Re: playing for others
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 03:17:14 PM
1) Play easy pieces in front of a small group of people, your friends or your relaitives
2) Play some easy pices as background music at coctail parties. Do it frequently as often as possible.
3) Play with others

Offline indianajo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 01:40:51 PM
1. Volunteer to play for the junior choir at your church; they are using those CD's probably and a little live music would be a great experience for them.  I started with the Stamps-Baxter pamphlets. (This Little Light of Mine, If You're Happy and you Know it Clap your hands etc, Barney show didn't write those chestnuts). 
2.  find a charity free dinner somewhere that has a piano and play for that crowd.  They aren't listening, but if they don't throw food at you, you win.  I got one old tramp to pound the table during Jingle Bells, that is my high point so far.  The Holly and the Ivy arr. G. Winston, and In the Bleak Midwinter made no impression at all. 
3.  If you live in a city with one of those "play me I'm yours" pianos on a street corner, go play it. Again nobody is listening. If somebody drops a quarter in a hat, you win.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 01:41:53 PM
https://imslp.org/wiki/Letters_to_a_Young_Lady_on_the_Art_of_Playing_the_Pianoforte_(Czerny,_Carl)

This book has an excellent chapter on the subject, entitled "On Playing before Others".

Offline pianoplunker

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 10:57:07 PM
When I play something at home by myself I play it well.  Wgrn I play for my teacher I play well.  As soon as I play for a group of people I play so badly it makes me look as if I don't know what I'm doing and my hands shake. Why is it and why does it only happen in front of an audience?. I have been playing a few years now but if you didnt know that when you listen to me play for a group you woukd assume I had never sat at a piano before.  How do I get over this because I know I am capable.

You might be overly scrutinizing your playing unnecessarily. Where a fraction of a mistake seems like a train wreck to you. So you get mentally hung up on it and then concentration turns into nervousness which leads to more bad stuff. It seems to me that a performance can have a small mistake without ruining anything for the audience. In fact I usually dont even notice unless the performer grimaces or something indicating a mistake had happenned. 

Offline pianoplunker

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 12:40:10 AM
https://imslp.org/wiki/Letters_to_a_Young_Lady_on_the_Art_of_Playing_the_Pianoforte_(Czerny,_Carl)

This book has an excellent chapter on the subject, entitled "On Playing before Others".

Wanted to read it but it says no text (?) . 

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 12:45:58 AM
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert