Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: VIDEOS Liszt and Beethoven  (Read 2320 times)

Offline cadenceiiv7i

• PS Silver Member
VIDEOS Liszt and Beethoven
on: June 30, 2014, 07:18:39 PM
Hey everyone!
I'm preparing for a competition and these are two of the pieces in my program. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks so much!

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Re: VIDEOS Liszt and Beethoven
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 09:21:27 PM
Bravo!

You play with great conviction and technical mastery. But I think your FF is a little too aggressive sometimes.

In the Beethoven, the ending of the exposition and beginning of the development could use a touch more attention to detail.

And in general, although you play with wonderful forward momentum and energy, I think the Beethoven could use a touch more space (certainly in the 2nd theme but elsewhere too) to make your interpretation more authentic, and less....literal.

Thanks for posting this. I really enjoyed your accurate, polished performances.

Offline cadenceiiv7i

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 10:58:38 PM
Thanks so much! I'm going to work on my fortissimo's for sure. Oh, and that Beethoven second theme too.
Thanks again!

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 12:34:58 AM
I've only been playing for two years so I don't know much about piano, but there's one thin I can say for sure, it was *** awesome! Enjoyed your performances very much.

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 07:37:43 AM
I've only listened to a few minutes of the Liszt (I'm still listening though), but I think I have a rather clear idea about most things.

You have a very clear idea on how you want it to sound, and your technique is obviously very good. The thing you need to work on is to finish things before starting something new. Not as taking having a comma, and then continue, but just let the last note finish before you start a new.

For example, the high octave d in the first theme. It sounds like you're trying to stay in tempo as much you can. Instead of sounding in tempo, it sounds rushed.
The same thing in the chord passage. Or rather the connection from the chords to the passages. If  you just finish the chords, and then start on the passage, it will be easier, and it wont sound rushed.

In the second theme, you have to be careful of getting static. The connection between the short notes and the long notes are right, but the long line isn't. The long notes are pretty much equally loud, and that makes it less singing and it doesn't move.

Also, decide before which passages you take time, and which should be sort of "result of what just happened" (no paus before, to put it simple). Now almost all of them, you stop, and then start playing the passages.

Though, it's very good!

Good luck!

I don't have my Beethoven score right here, but I will write something about that too, later!

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 08:43:21 PM
Only listened to the Liszt, but this is very impressive. My own preference is for more attack in the finale and that is definately within your capability to do so, should you desire.

Top marks.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert