Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Steinway O  (Read 1715 times)

Offline david456103

• PS Silver Member
Steinway O
on: July 01, 2014, 11:10:41 PM
Does anyone know anything about the Steinway O piano? Like is it easy to play on(heavy action vs. easy action)? Is it loud, or soft? I'm asking, since a recording studio I'm considering uses the O brand, and since one of my pieces is very soft (Ondine) I want to know if the piano is appropriate.
Thanks! :)

Offline cabbynum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Steinway O
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 11:42:30 PM
Every piano is different. If ask to try out the piano beforehand and explain why. They should understand.
My model L has some pretty heavy action but one of my students L is like a freaking feather.
Just here to lurk and cringe at my old posts now.

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 01:51:46 AM
Every piano is different. If ask to try out the piano beforehand and explain why. They should understand.
My model L has some pretty heavy action but one of my students L is like a freaking feather.
Absolutely.  Do try the piano beforehand -- don't just sit down to it and record.  My A has a medium action -- but it's an unrebuilt 1898 instrument.  My M is medium to light; it's newer.  They vary...

Dynamic range shouldn't be a problem once you become accustomed to it.  Just remember that you are dealing with a bigger grand!
Ian

Offline jamaicaway

• PS Gold Member
Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 06:05:16 PM
Hi,
I have a model O which I fell in love with when I first played it many years ago. I'd call the action medium: I've played lighter actions and I've played much heavier. The sound is sweet in the upper register (I mean it doesn't stand out for brightness), and the mid-bass is a bit stronger than many other pianos of its size. It has plenty of volume.
My instrument was built in 1901.
Of course I agree with the others who say you just have to try the instrument. Your perceptions may be entirely different, and you will probably be playing a mode modern instrument.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 06:33:15 AM
You need to try it in person.  Some brands have built a reputation for a certain amount of consistency within a model.  Steinway however prides itself on the diversity of its instruments - some people admire this, others do not. 

What could you expect?  The piano has the name "Steinway" printed on it, there is an indication it is a Model O.  Otherwise, it is anyone's guess how this piano plays and sounds.  From the many Steinway's I have played, IMO it is very difficult to make a generalization to what one could expect from a particular model. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert