Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Improvsing over only the tonic  (Read 1632 times)

Offline stillofthenight

• PS Silver Member
Improvsing over only the tonic
on: July 08, 2014, 07:30:00 PM
I am trying to improvise over just one chord for 4 bars (looping)...the tonic (I) chord. How would you define a phrase for this one chord if it is at all , according to music theory, possible to make phrases over just one chord. I understand that the basic phrase model incorporates T-D-T harmony for a conclusive phrase, but in my case...there is just one chord. I suspect one would need to just think in terms of scale degrees...but I just want to know what others think.

I am also familiar with the idea of motives which are the smaller components of a phrase, and do not generally cadence. Which scale degrees should I be focusing on and avoiding (in general) to improvise motives on the single tonic chord?

And as mentioned earlier, which scale degrees should I be focusing on and avoiding (in general) to improvise phrases on the single tonic chord?

Offline nystul

• PS Silver Member
Re: Improvsing over only the tonic
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 09:26:55 PM
I don't think the principles behind the melody really change because of using one chord.  The notes that belong to the harmony will typically be consonant and stable, and the other notes have various degrees of dissonance.  The dissonant notes usually resolve by step (one scale degree up or down) to a consonant one.  Thinking in scale degrees is probably good, but it comes down to experimenting at the keys and hearing how the notes interact with the chord.

"Row, Row, Row Your Boat" is probably the most famous one chord song.  It has a very safe melody, in the sense that every note on the beat is a chord tone.  The only dissonant notes are the short passing tones that connect one chord tone to the next.  In comparison, when you do use a dissonant note on a strong beat, it creates a bit of tension which may sometimes be desired.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Improvsing over only the tonic
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 04:50:29 AM
You could look into two part species counterpoint.  There is the notion of implied harmony, so you don't totally get away from V-I cadences.  However, it does take you further away from chord based thinking and into the creation of melodic lines.  Staying with two parts will also inhibit the creation of triadic harmonies. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert