Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: English Suite No. 6  (Read 1139 times)

Offline arielpiano

• PS Silver Member
English Suite No. 6
on: July 08, 2014, 07:37:12 PM
Most dramatic of them all, but nothing English about it...

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Re: English Suite No. 6
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 02:36:48 PM
I thought this was a very mature and polished performance!

Thank you for posting. You play Bach in a way that is both beautiful and scholarly.

And of course, you have absolute nerves of steel to play the music of Bach so professionally in a one-take studio recording!

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 04:58:43 AM
Hi Ariel

That was excellent!  The suite is not easy to play.  You approach it with refined touch and clean articulation.  It's impressive too that you could do it in a full recording take.  Your accuracy helps tremendously in that scenario.  The English Suite is one of Bach's most important compositions, so this would be a good one to keep in your active repertoire.  Then if you should choose to do a recital highlighting stylistic periods in historical order, this suite could very well represent the Baroque segment.

Wonderful playing, Ariel.

David
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline arielpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 12:47:53 PM
Thanks guys... In truth, I played this suite several times before a public, but I wasn't happy with it, which is why I decided to record it without an audience.
All this week I've been in a workshop with Leon Fleisher in Germany. Amazing masterclasses! I wish someone had taped them. Yesterday we celebrated his 86th birthday.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 10:34:31 PM
Hi ariel

That was a great opportunity to attend the Fleisher masterclass.  I'm sure you got a lot out of it.

Terrific!

David
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline iancollett6

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 12:34:01 PM
That was a stunning performance! You looked so comfortable and natural while playing. I'll be looking forward to anymore recordings you may post.
"War is terrorism by the rich and terrorism is war by the poor." Peter Ustinov
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert