Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Delayed muscle soreness from exercise - Cause, solution?  (Read 1976 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
I exercise one day.  I feel ok, good actually then.  Next morning, fine.  Still feel good.

About 20-30 hours after the exercise I feel sore and it doesn't feel so good.

Why does that happen? 

And how do you prevent that type of soreness? 

It must be the muscles healing up.  It's not the same as tight muscles in the legs, not that brittle feeling.  It doesn't have the "good healing" type of sore feeling.  It's more of an "old dark blood" type of feel if that makes sense. 

More potassium and magnesium.  I've already got that down.  I'm sure I'm full of it by now.  I'm taking them daily.

Stretch, massage, move, carefully stressing... and then actually reworking that muscle again the same way are probably the solutions.   Along with eating well, getting good sleep, etc. 

It's just bizarre how it waits. 
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Delayed muscle soreness from exercise - Cause, solution?
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 02:55:03 AM
I'm sure I'm full of it

;D

No argument here.

https://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/doms.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness

You need to get your google fixed.

Oh, and you still maintain this is for you heath, right?  ::)
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 05:14:55 AM
That thought crossed my mind.  Do lots of exercise... so I can be sore all the time?

It goes away though.  I think I've figured that out probably about as much as I will.  

And I have a feeling the muscle soreness is probably good.  Or good information.  That's the part of the body that got stressed for sure.  The pain might be a deterrent or could be the price to pay for forcing the body to adjust in a certain way.  Excericse... Body asks, do you really need to do that?  And if you continue, eventually it will give in and adapt to that.

I haven't googled yet.  I figured someone here might have some exercise wisdom.  Thanks for the links though.  A lot of times a block of text isn't as helpful as someone's experience/info digestion/idea on a topic.... I need it meshed with my brain.   The Wikipedia article looks bit sized though.

Oi, Ich bin muede...

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 05:28:04 AM
Yes, very interesting Wikipedia article.  Thanks.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 07:14:42 AM
You could try some EPO.

Worked for Lance Armstrong.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 01:57:51 AM
You could try some EPO.

Worked for Lance Armstrong.

Thal

It did give him some much delayed headaches, though.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 02:47:01 AM
The only thing I read that's supposed to work are those foam things.  I guess you roll around on them to massage the muscles...   One of those articles said stretching make it feel better but doesn't actually help the muscle recover faster. I'd go for just feeling better.  Stretching, massaging, and then reworking the muscle seem to be the way to go.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 09:08:07 PM
Interesting.  Tears occur while releasing (eccentric).

Not really applicable to piano I think.  Seems like two different worlds.

Offline indianajo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 12:36:47 AM
Fairly continual low level soreness is good.  
When you get in aerobic shape, your body produces endomorphine. This masks out the low level soreness.  What is your resting pulse?  Are you there yet?  I had mine down to 80 after a winter of gym exercise (of arms mostly).  I've pushed resting pulse down to 66 this summer, riding 54-80 miles a week on the bicycle.  After getting off the bike after the 27mile stretch, if there was any contrary wind at all, I feel "tired" and often nap.  There was a some leg soreness next day at the beginning of the summer, but now 4 weeks in, not anymore.  Mostly just my overused (for sitting) gluteal muscles are sore.
Due to Army running in combat boots (and resultant no cartledge between leg bones) I take naproxen fairly regularly for my knee pain.  After the most recent trip, with resting pulse of 66, I haven't needed it. Of course, the wind was favorable, which helps a lot on a high drag mountain bike.   
Drink plenty of water.  Diet drinks without caffein are a near substitute.  This cool summer I'm going through 3 liters a day of diet soda and another liter or more of water.  Something has to flush all that yellow waste out of your blood.  
Have fun.  At my age, (over 60) if you are not exercising much, you're losing 8% of your muscle mass per year, acording to bbcnews.com.  

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 03:01:46 AM
The soreness is gone.  It's very nice.  I can actually run again.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 05:08:20 PM
Resting heart rate? 

Looks like 50-70 sitting down.  70-90 standing up.  About 95-105 walking.

Unless this heart rate monitor is off....  It's 62 right now.  Went down to 52 a few minutes ago.  59.... 58....  Depends if I'm typing I think, if my arms lift up a bit.

*Bob wonders if his heart is being lazy.*  It's about to get a work out though.  Haha....

Offline indianajo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 09:57:27 PM
Sitting down resting pulse is the rate I was quoting, standing walking running heart rates are in stress test territory that requires some education to analyze. Education that I don't have.  My resting rate for years was 85-95 as I worked sitting down, walking around, and the worst when i worked third shift. 
Based on my experience, with those resting pulse rates you should be getting some benefit from endomorphine to control pain.  I read Dr. Cooper's Aerobics book about 1970. There has been nothing on bbcnews.com to contradict it, and a lot of medical research corroboration reported there.  Probably there are better books now, but my program is working for me. 

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 12:23:44 AM
Spoke too soon, at least in terms of dull pain.  Sore heal now.  But it's not the brittleness from before.  This is something else.  Different feel/pain, different behavior.  I'm doubting it's good.

*Bob ices his heel.*

Otherwise, the constant dull pain/soreness when things have been pushed... Ugh.  That starts getting to me after a while.  Low level, but always there.  Does not let up.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert