Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Yoyoyo I got a question for you guys  (Read 2601 times)

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Yoyoyo I got a question for you guys
on: July 16, 2014, 06:13:11 PM
Alright, so I plan on performing the Gaspard de la Nuit in a recital next semester or maybe the semester after that. 

NOW...

I was thinking that maybe I could get someone to recite each poem before I play them.

So someone would do the ondine, then I would play, then we move on to le gibet, then the scarbo.

NOW...

Should I have it done in French, or in English?  Cause I could just throw in translations in the program.
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline flashyfingers

Re: Yoyoyo I got a question for you guys
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 07:55:35 PM
Yeah, just do it in french!! (someone who is good at french!!!!!) And throw the translation in, on the programme.
I'm hungry

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 08:00:25 PM
That's a really good idea!  I love seeing concerts where the performer gives some background to the pieces before performing; makes the whole "recital" a bit more intimate and not so rigid.  Especially for impressionist music...

Hearing Le Gibet after listening to the poem would be quite disturbing for "classical music noobs" haha
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 08:33:23 PM
I've attended recitals, where poems or other period text was read in between pieces.  Very effective.  Get a theater major, or someone that has had voice coaching to read. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 11:35:48 PM
My vote would be for the English translations. You want the audience to know what's going on, and they won't necessarily feel comfortable reading a whole poem in translation, or sitting through the whole thing comfortably not understanding a word.

Unless they're all opera buffs as well.  ;)
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline gvans

Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 02:46:52 AM
I disagree with j_menz. The poems are short ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaspard_de_la_nuit ).
I would have your reader read each before each movement in both French and then English. There is something about French--c'est une très belle langue. Even if your audience doesn't fully understand it, it will put them in a proper Ravelesque frame of mind. And, by all means put both translations in the program.

Yes, this breaks up the piece, but so what? It is a program piece anyhow, and such a performance would fulfill Ravel's intentions.

I went to a recital the other day, and the pianist broke up the six movements of a Bach partita with  historic and music theory monologues. She would talk for five minutes, play for five minutes, etc. A bit of Bach biography, then some music. A bit on counterpoint, then some music. It was wonderfully done, and the audience ate it up.

If you wonder why the classical musical audience keeps shrinking and aging, perhaps it is the hushed, hyper-conservative museum attitude performers adhere to that makes it that way.

Good luck with the Scarbo, dude.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 03:12:10 AM
it will put them in a proper Ravelesque frame of mind.

Aphasic, absent minded and possibly with frontotemporal dementia?    ::)

If you wonder why the classical musical audience keeps shrinking and aging, perhaps it is the hushed, hyper-conservative museum attitude performers adhere to that makes it that way.

It was the possibility that reciting poems in French may in fact add to that perception that lead me to suggest they be read in English. It may depend on the audience, of course, but French, whatever it's beauties, does seem to feed into that elitist/poncy atmosphere.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

theholygideons

Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 03:43:10 AM
but French, whatever it's beauties, does seem to feed into that elitist/poncy atmosphere.
and for that reason alone, it is favourable for people to be seen at such venues, because being a pleb fucken sux.

Offline gvans

Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 09:03:23 PM

It was the possibility that reciting poems in French may in fact add to that perception that lead me to suggest they be read in English. It may depend on the audience, of course, but French, whatever it's beauties, does seem to feed into that elitist/poncy atmosphere.

OK, Ravel was a nut case. But aren't we all?

Each poem is about ten lines long. Takes about a minute to read each. But you're right--attitudes to French depend on the audience. I grew up in Minnesota, where my exposure to the language was at hockey games with Canadians from across our border. ("Manger de la merde," "Avoir un peu de bois," etc.) Things said as we rammed hockey sticks in each other's teeth. Now, if I was living in a no-border English-only country, like Australia, for example, my attitude might be different...

Offline flashyfingers

Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 04:11:28 AM

The comment about french themed things...on the programme, are you, RACH4, only featuring this particular suite, representing chiefly impressionistic music, and only that, by Ravel? Or will there be some snazzy Verdi operatic transcriptions, and some italian to english, perhaps some Cherubini?   8)
I'm hungry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 05:38:19 AM
The comment about french themed things...on the programme, are you, RACH4, only featuring this particular suite, representing chiefly impressionistic music, and only that, by Ravel? Or will there be some snazzy Verdi operatic transcriptions, and some italian to english, perhaps some Cherubini?   8)

I'll probably be doing a Mozart ravel programme.  Maybe throw in some Bach

So I'm gonna have the guy sit on the corner of the stage or something and the whole stage turns dark but he gets a DIM spotlight and he recites the poem and when I start playing it goes back to normal.  Kinda creepy huh. 

OR we could shut off the lights completely so nobody will know where the speaker is.

Creepy right?

What do you guys think?

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 05:58:17 AM
a Mozart ravel programme.  ... Creepy right?

What do you guys think?

Not as creepy as hearing Mozart unravel.  ;)

Offline starlady

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 07:13:56 AM
Rach4 is going to play Bach!?!?!?!?!? 

There's hope for the world after all.

Offline flashyfingers

Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 04:47:35 PM
I'll probably be doing a Mozart ravel programme.  Maybe throw in some Bach

So I'm gonna have the guy sit on the corner of the stage or something and the whole stage turns dark but he gets a DIM spotlight and he recites the poem and when I start playing it goes back to normal.  Kinda creepy huh. 

OR we could shut off the lights completely so nobody will know where the speaker is.

Creepy right?

What do you guys think?

Lol, what do you mean nobody will know where the speaker is? I think they will hear where he is.

You could have him hovering on a rope (idk what those are called), above the audience, that would be creepy!!!
I'm hungry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 06:41:29 AM

Lol, what do you mean nobody will know where the speaker is? I think they will hear where he is.

You could have him hovering on a rope (idk what those are called), above the audience, that would be creepy!!!

Oooooooh I got an idea!!!

What if for le gibet the poet is hanging by his neck from the ceiling?  Now THAT would be freaking awesome. 

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 06:49:39 AM

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 11:43:11 PM

What if for le gibet the poet is hanging by his neck from the ceiling?  Now THAT would be freaking awesome.  

Isn't the poet in question long dead?  ::)

Oh, and you mean....

Looks good!

Offline flashyfingers

Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 02:45:44 AM

What if for le gibet the poet is hanging by his neck from the ceiling?  Now THAT would be freaking awesome. 

make sure you have someone with experience to do this...haha
I'm hungry

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 04:34:44 AM
Would you believe the camera man was the husband/boyfriend of the poem reader?

Looks like a bit of corporate Nike sponsorship going on in that video.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 01:10:03 PM
Right on rach. ,i admire you doing this after how long?  A year?  Wow.  I've been having an affair with gaspard for 40 years now....
I like the idea of reading the poems.  What would really be cool and effective is,if you yourself recited them.  By memory.  In the dark.  Neat.

Offline flashyfingers

Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 02:15:59 PM
Right on rach. ,i admire you doing this after how long?  A year?  Wow.  I've been having an affair with gaspard for 40 years now....
I like the idea of reading the poems.  What would really be cool and effective is,if you yourself recited them.  By memory.  In the dark.  Neat.

yes!
I'm hungry

Offline gvans

Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 10:28:47 PM

Looks good!

The coffin in the vid is a nice touch. The page turner with the ludicrous hat reaching in front of Lis with his right hand--not so much. Ya need to hire an amphibious page turner, or at least use a leftie.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 07:18:54 AM
Ya need to hire an amphibious page turner

Just for Ondine.  ;D

Ambidextrous, perhaps?

Offline gvans

Reply #23 on: July 26, 2014, 05:41:20 PM
I prefer ambiguous, ambivalent, and ambilateral page turners. Just not right-handers.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: July 27, 2014, 02:54:39 AM

Dude I still can't believe I'm done lol.

Recite them by memory in French while playing it?!?!?!  :o

Offline flashyfingers

Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 05:00:51 AM
The coffin in the vid is a nice touch. The page turner with the ludicrous hat reaching in front of Lis with his right hand--not so much. Ya need to hire an amphibious page turner, or at least use a leftie.

hahaha!  :D
I'm hungry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 09:30:20 PM
  I've been having an affair with gaspard for 40 years now....

I still need help with the right hand on 472-476...  Well it's pretty easy to fake 476, but 472-475 is pretty nasty.  Right now it's a little under tempo and I MIGHT be able to get away with it MAYBE but I don't know. 

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: August 03, 2014, 05:04:54 PM
THAT gives you problems?!  And I suppose 581-84 doesn't, right?

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: August 04, 2014, 04:16:56 AM
THAT gives you problems?!  And I suppose 581-84 doesn't, right?

Nope not at all!

Offline cbreemer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: August 18, 2014, 06:05:12 PM
I still need help with the right hand on 472-476...  Well it's pretty easy to fake 476, but 472-475 is pretty nasty. 
You are privileged to have that many fingers on the right hand  ;D

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: August 19, 2014, 04:29:17 AM
You are privileged to have that many fingers on the right hand  ;D

You only use 3 lol

Offline xxhottie88xx

Reply #31 on: September 24, 2014, 07:15:45 PM
I'm doing Ondine too, one more page to go then I'll be done with the piece!

I memorized the poem... Well I guess u gotta be able to speak French to do that...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert