Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: What exercise to hit maximum heart rate?  (Read 2466 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
What exercise to hit maximum heart rate?
on: July 19, 2014, 09:44:57 PM
Running isn't quite doing it anymore, or I need to really, really push it.  I get close but no closer then.  I'm just a bit away from my max heart rate.

What else would do it? 

Maybe running up stairs or something with an incline. 

Or holding weights or something while running.

I've tried to hit my max heart rate three times now. 
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline indianajo

• PS Silver Member
Re: What exercise to hit maximum heart rate?
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 10:07:33 PM
Well, doctor Coopers max rate was 200-age.  Go lower if overweight or have no exercise history for a year or more.  2/3 of that is his recommended aerobic exercise rate for 25 minutes to achieve artery sludge cleanout and endomorphine boost.
When I had to go back in the Army age 30, I trained by running upstairs two steps at a time, 6 stories six reps, for the three months before I reported to Ordnance school. I was able to pass the 2 mile PT test in boots at 14 min 40 sec at school.  I had done stairs running carrying a box of books in a standard carton working as a mover during the post-VietNam recession right after college graduation.  
Wear low impact shoes, I have no cartledge in my knees.  I blame the Army daily run in combat boots, I talked to a retired Col that said most Vietnam-Iranian Hostage crisis veterans have this problem.  I had to practice two miles in boots three times a week  for 18 years, until I got old enough to flunk the physical safely at Army reserve recall.  (below a certain age, they could call you back in as a Private at low pay if you flunk the recall physical)
I'm using 168 as my max pulse rate now at age 64. that is above Dr. Cooper's recommendation but I've been doing that for 20-30 years and don't see a reason to stop.  (14 beats in 5 seconds).  As a musician, I don't use an electronic instrument, just my fingers to feel pulse.

Offline iancollett6

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 10:08:32 PM
A rowing machine. Check out the brand "Concept 2". Ive been on one for a while now and there is a whole online community, you can log your meters, race against other people.
 It would have to be one of the most punishing exercises for every muscle in your body....and its low impact!
"War is terrorism by the rich and terrorism is war by the poor." Peter Ustinov

Offline iancollett6

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 10:18:31 PM
Well, doctor Coopers max rate was 200-age.

I always read that it is 220-age. And that is meant to be on the conservative side.
When I first got my heart rate monitor I used that formula to calculate my max rate at 179, being 41 years old. With help from my rower I got it up to 186!
"War is terrorism by the rich and terrorism is war by the poor." Peter Ustinov

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 11:30:01 PM
Crossfit

https://www.crossfit.com/

The metcons will definitely get your heart rate up near stroke levels if you want

Check out the Girls workouts and the Heros workouts

Here's a sample you can do without weights or gym equipment:

3 rounds of (walking lunges 50 meters, touching the knee to ground with each step, followed by hops 100 meters, followed by sprint 200 meters).  This is easy to do at a soccer or football field, just start in the middle, lunge to one end, hop to the other, sprint down and back)

If you make 3 rounds without rest your heart rate will probably be 200 + age! 

Also you are gonna be sore the next day. 
Tim

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 01:00:10 AM
Yeah, I'm looking for thing that don't require any equipment.  I don't have much space here.  Something like running is free.

It did cross my mind that adding more weight to something like running would increase the intensity.  So... If I gain 20-30 pounds, I'm probably all set for a heart busting run.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 09:06:44 AM
Get a heart rate monitor, a bike and do a few time trials.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline kevin69

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 10:04:15 AM
Max heart rate often isn't that interesting, because you can't sustain it for very long.
The lactate threshold, more or less the sustainable max, is more interesting.

But if you really want to hit your max heart rate, a ramp test will generally do it.

The Bruce protocol is one standard for treadmills:

The Bruce protocol consists of a maximum of 10 three minute stages. Participant starts walking on the treadmill at 1.7 mph and an incline of 10 percent. Every stage the grade is increased by 2 percent. The speed is increased every stage starting at 1.7mph, and then to 2.5 mph, 3.4 mph, 4.2 mph, 5.0 mph, 5.5 mph, 6.0 mph, 6.5 mph, 7.0 mph and the tenth and final stage is 7.5 mph with an incline of 28 percent. This is the highest stage, but since it is a maximal test and the participant persists until they are too tired to continue, it will likely end long before it reaches that stage.

Ramp tests are generally short, increasingly hard, and end when you quit.
If you are doing one on a bike, its safer to do it on an indoor trainer than on a road.

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 03:25:22 PM
How about... getting up out of my chair?

More seriously, Cooper's suggestion (200-age) probably isn't that far off -- if you used to exercising anyway (say, walking vigorously or the like every day).  Otherwise, take it a bit easy getting up there.  And a couple of other things.  You might want to check with your doctor before undertaking a vigorous exercise regime, although there are a number of possible problems which simply can't be picked up.  The other -- if you are getting older (I'm 72) is the if you are exercising (or even just climbing stairs!) and suddenly -- really abruptly -- get very out of breath and feel the ol' pump going like mad you may have a possible atrial fibrillation problem.  If you do, stop.  Right there, right now.  Until things recover.  And mention it to your quack, next time you see him or her.
Ian

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 04:48:55 PM
Almost anything done to the Tabata protocol will max out your heart rate.
Tim

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 05:34:35 PM
Sex

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 09:11:41 PM
I've got a heart rate monitor.  I only seem to get up to a certain point though. 

Today I was thinking the rest of my body might need to adjust.  The heart isn't the weakest part right now anymore.  A few weeks ago it was getting pushed.  Not so much now.  I'm still getting up to about the 90% range though.  It's tough to push more around 80-90%.  That's with running.

Pushing it for bike riding only gets me to around 66% max rate. 

I did find another spot with an incline today that looks interesting. That got my heart rate up to around 80 without pushing it.  My foot got tight after yesterday.  Yesterday I pushed it a bit for endurance and the my heart rate was up to that 90% mark twice.  I was thinking a longer amount of time might do it.

Adding weight.... an incline.... adding some other movement....  Still thinking....

I'm also thinking I just have to wait a bit.  My body will adjust.  Then I can push the body more finally and that will require more from the heart. 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert