Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: practicing sight reading  (Read 6280 times)

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: practicing sight reading
Reply #100 on: August 14, 2014, 10:44:52 PM
I could have said Rasputin, you'd still know who i was talking about right? :) Thanks for correcting me I am not good with names. I still mistake Schubert and Schumann all the time -_-

I'd actually have assumed there was yet another damn Russian I'd have to go out and explore!
 ;D

Sight reading can be used in many ways and you have given a few good examples. It is not necessarily being able to pick up a piece and play it at mastery, but at the same time it is and you should be able to do this for particular pieces. One should also question what is stopping them from being able to sight read other works with mastery, you can certainly discover a lot studying the piano in terms of sight reading, sure puts a different spin on the approach to the study (Eg: reading hundreds of pieces a month opposed to polishing a few pieces to mastery).

Oh, I agree you should be able to play some pieces straight off.  I don't think it's ever possible to get a first time through up to the musical standard of a considered performance, but it should be acceptable.

One of the things that can stop people being able to read a piece is not their sight reading abilities at all - it's simply not possible to read through a piece you are not actually able to play. So whilst I think that people would benefit by reading a greater amount of repertoire, I still think it's necessary to target pieces to bring up to scratch that will develop ones technical skills, and also provide the sort of depth of understanding that complements breadth.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #101 on: August 15, 2014, 07:01:10 AM
So, out of all the many points that a person with strength of conviction could have responded directly to (including those where I outlined the methodology that you had heckled me for not providing and demanded to know about), your response is to take a small passage that pertains entirely to the topic of sight reading and call it a "tangent"?
There is no point in taking up anything else. If this single situation cannot be solved why bother putting more on the plate? I asked specific questions which where answered with randomness. The questions were not hard at all but you still persisted in casting your silly shadows of doubt.

People will complain you are tangenting because you are simply just talking straight past them and rambling off in your own world. If you can't even be clear on this one point why would any really take you seriously on anything else?

....I'll leave you to teach your students on the basis that quantity is the most important, the assumption that most people already know how to practise and the motto that lots of bad practise is better than none at all. (I sincerely wish those points were a ridiculous strawman of the kind you had created to argue against- rather than points you sincerely used to support your stance, in your last post)
Wow your madness is getting worse. tut tut. Why are you making up all these situations to support yourself?
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #102 on: August 15, 2014, 07:03:25 AM
Fixed that for you.
That's more appropriate tim thanks lol :)

www.pianovision.com

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #103 on: August 15, 2014, 07:14:21 AM
One of the things that can stop people being able to read a piece is not their sight reading abilities at all - it's simply not possible to read through a piece you are not actually able to play. So whilst I think that people would benefit by reading a greater amount of repertoire, I still think it's necessary to target pieces to bring up to scratch that will develop ones technical skills, and also provide the sort of depth of understanding that complements breadth.
I find improving technique with many pieces focusing on the same issue is better than perfecting a single piece that studies that action. Everyone is individual though in their musical approach though I would encourage people to choose to do many examples instead of trying to perfect a single one. You do have to have a technical confidence with a variation of many scales, chords, arpeggios and other patterns/progressions you commonly find at the piano. Learning a lot of repertoire will help to learn a lot of these and analysing music taking time to break it down, highlighting its patterns etc all are helpful steps for the developing reader. I find teaching students to read competently and then focusing on their technique is easier than the other way around. Good reading means being effective in finding the good fingering which can certainly aid good technique since fingering is technique as Liszt said.
www.pianovision.com

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #104 on: August 17, 2014, 01:59:09 AM
I find improving technique with many pieces focusing on the same issue is better than perfecting a single piece that studies that action. Everyone is individual though in their musical approach though I would encourage people to choose to do many examples instead of trying to perfect a single one. You do have to have a technical confidence with a variation of many scales, chords, arpeggios and other patterns/progressions you commonly find at the piano. Learning a lot of repertoire will help to learn a lot of these and analysing music taking time to break it down, highlighting its patterns etc all are helpful steps for the developing reader. I find teaching students to read competently and then focusing on their technique is easier than the other way around. Good reading means being effective in finding the good fingering which can certainly aid good technique since fingering is technique as Liszt said.

I agree - with the slight caveat that some single pieces are better than others.  The idea is to have a suite of general solutions, not whole warehouse-fulls of specific solutions, upon which to draw.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline nyiregyhazi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #105 on: August 17, 2014, 09:47:59 PM
I agree - with the slight caveat that some single pieces are better than others.  The idea is to have a suite of general solutions, not whole warehouse-fulls of specific solutions, upon which to draw.

Exactly. It's not a case of getting a memory of all possible building blocks but acquiring a set of skills. Skill is diversely applicable- including in styles of music that a good reader has no experience of. It's absolutely no problem for advanced skills to cover things that are completely different to anything in the memory banks. And it's equally possible to have huge breadth of experience yet inadequate skills.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert