Piano Forum

Topic: Professional Level of Performance?  (Read 1252 times)

Offline alistaircrane4

Professional Level of Performance?
on: July 25, 2014, 04:08:17 AM
When applying for a certain competition the organized stated for Pianists with a professional level of performance. Do degrees qualify you for professional status i.e masters degree in classical performance. If not what do I do to achieve this requirement?

Offline lazyfingers

Re: Professional Level of Performance?
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 05:16:11 AM
I believe it depends more on the institution than on the level of degree. Where I live, one university only accepts students who are at a licentiate level, another accepts at an intermediate level, and there is one which accepts students who can't read notes. So, what sort of graduate do they produce?

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Professional Level of Performance?
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 05:23:37 AM
I think it's more to cut down applications to those likely to be accepted. There's no qualification required, but you need to consider whether you can compete with the likely competitors - in this case a very high standard - before applying.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert