Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Trills using thumb and middle finger  (Read 2704 times)

Offline mozart404

Trills using thumb and middle finger
on: July 25, 2014, 03:38:49 PM
I've gotten decent at trills using fingers 2 and 3 (RH), but with my thumb and middle or index it feels very strange.

I don't have a teacher currently so I can't really get feedback on my technique. Anyway, should the motion come mainly from mainly depressing the fingers into the keys or with a combination of rotating the wrist slightly? Neither way really feels comfortable.

Also, I'm keeping my fingers touching the keys at all times. But raising them slightly after each note actually makes it easier to get more power and a little more speed, I assume it's best to keep them touching though for economy of motion?

Offline 1piano4joe

• PS Silver Member
Re: Trills using thumb and middle finger
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 05:48:30 PM
Hi mozart404,

I rotate the wrist slightly. The pivot point varies with the fingers I use. It may not be correct but it works for me. Personally, I find this almost essential when the thumb is involved as it is anatomical different.

I hope I have been helpful, Joe.

P.S. Welcome to Pianostreet!

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 09:04:19 PM
Using more wrist will give faster repetition.  Using more fingers gives you more note articulation.  Employ a mix of both to get the musical result you desire. 

When doing a 1-3 trill you can use 4 and 5 as a weight counterbalance for the hand. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 11:29:04 PM
Using more wrist will give faster repetition.  Using more fingers gives you more note articulation.  Employ a mix of both to get the musical result you desire.  

I have always found this particular dichotomy a damned nuisance. A trill is just the simplest possible type of rapid note cycle, and for the non-legato rhythmic effects I like in improvisation, pure finger striking wins hands down. The trouble is that it is much harder, especially with double notes or the outside fingers. If I were more of a pianist per se I would have developed both, but as I find smooth legato musically boring and useless for rhythm, I have just gone for the pure finger option with the help of the Virgil Practice Clavier over many years. That's why I am a big dud at Chopin studies I suppose, but I accept the deficiency. As you say, in the end it's all about making the sounds you like.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert