Piano Forum

Topic: Reduce tension in arm when playing  (Read 1448 times)

Offline angelakom

Reduce tension in arm when playing
on: August 01, 2014, 06:35:15 AM
When i play Lizst's Hungarian Rhapsody No.8 and when I get to the faster parts like the ''brilliante''  parts, my right hand gets tight and it starts getting exhausting for the hand and forearm and I can't play the accurate notes. Is there a particular reason this happens to me or is it due to not even practice? thanks!

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Re: Reduce tension in arm when playing
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 11:12:06 AM
Playing on a modern piano involves extremes of effort.  If you're not endurance practicing for hours a day with a minimum-tension technique you'll have problems.  Are you doing it right?  Who knows.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline carl_h

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 12:27:26 PM
If you get tension and you are inaccurate at hitting the right notes, it could be that you just don't know the notes well enough. Maybe you have to think too hard about the notes (too fast) which can cause your body to tense up.

"Slow motion" practice is effective for this, moving fast but playing slow, giving yourself time to think about everything you need to do while staying relaxed.

Offline angelakom

Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 01:25:58 AM
If you get tension and you are inaccurate at hitting the right notes, it could be that you just don't know the notes well enough. Maybe you have to think too hard about the notes (too fast) which can cause your body to tense up.

"Slow motion" practice is effective for this, moving fast but playing slow, giving yourself time to think about everything you need to do while staying relaxed.

I'll start practicing a bit slower then until I can be more confident with that part. My teacher always tells me that I lack confidence at certain parts due to I guess because I like to play right away at a fast tempo. Thanks!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert