Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Skype Teaching  (Read 4749 times)

Offline aaronpetit

• PS Silver Member
Skype Teaching
on: August 03, 2014, 06:17:00 AM
Hello Everyone,
     My name is Aaron Petit. I am a classical pianist and teacher living in Los Angeles, California as a student of the Colburn School. I teach students of all ages and abilities through an Online Skype piano studio. My specialties are in Classical Piano Performance, Music Theory, and Ear Training.
    If you, or anyone you know is interested, please feel free to contact me with any questions via a reply here or through my email or website provided below.

Email: pianoapprentice@hotmail.com

Thank you,  
Aaron  :)

Offline green

• PS Silver Member
Re: Skype Teaching
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 08:04:59 AM
How is that working out for you? I've wanted to try it myself, what sort of set up do you use, and how is finding students this way? Many students interested? I would think it wouldn't work for younger learners.

Thanks

Offline aaronpetit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 08:45:26 AM
How is that working out for you? I've wanted to try it myself, what sort of set up do you use, and how is finding students this way? Many students interested? I would think it wouldn't work for younger learners.

Thanks

Hello. :)
     I think it works great! I definitely recommend trying it. One thing most people like about it is that no driving is involved for the parent and the student can feel relaxed in his/her own home. Really the only thing that is a disadvantage is that the student and teacher must both have a copy of the score. And they both must have measure numbers to reference because pointing is hard to do unless you hold the sheet music up to the camera.
     My set up is pretty simple. I use the Skype app and video camera strait from my Mac Book Pro and then I have a professional music microphone to produce most accurate tone quality etc. This mic can be purchase for around $70 dollars and will last a lifetime. I have the computer on a stand a few feet from the piano so my students can see me and the keys just fine.
     So far, since this is only a day old post, I haven't gotten any students on piano forum, but I will say that advertising on personal YouTube performance videos works really well. Have you heard of Josh Wright. He does the same thing on his performances on YouTube and he now has a full studio around the world in his 20's. Also Craigslist, and Facebook piano groups are great places to put your name out there.
     I would say that this is definitely becoming more and more popular for all students as technology increases. So yes, several students are interested. As far as the younger learners, I don't know how they respond. I have taught people around 8-10 before in person, but so far I have never had a Skype student under 15. I would suspect that you are right though because focus may be harder for really young ones since the "Hands on" teacher isn't there.
    I hope I could help you out a little bit. Thanks for your questions and please feel free to ask more if you think of any. :) -Aaron.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 01:53:46 PM
What level are you teaching?  If a student is a beginner, then that student has to learn everything, including how to sit at the piano, and how to move.  You mentioned both having the score.  In that case, the student must be able to read.

I'm working with my teacher via Skype.  I'm an adult and I already know how to work.  The most difficult part has to do with technique, and unfortunately since I was self-taught years ago and then resumed decades later, that is an important issue.  Interpretation, timing (rubato etc.) are relatively easy to bring across.

In regards to technique, I've seen tutorials in Youtube.  The teacher can have a sophisticated camera to show his hands, his arms, the angle of his body, feet etc.  But observing the student is another matter.  Do you work with any of that?

Offline aaronpetit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 08:21:02 PM
What level are you teaching?  If a student is a beginner, then that student has to learn everything, including how to sit at the piano, and how to move.  You mentioned both having the score.  In that case, the student must be able to read.

I'm working with my teacher via Skype.  I'm an adult and I already know how to work.  The most difficult part has to do with technique, and unfortunately since I was self-taught years ago and then resumed decades later, that is an important issue.  Interpretation, timing (rubato etc.) are relatively easy to bring across.

In regards to technique, I've seen tutorials in Youtube.  The teacher can have a sophisticated camera to show his hands, his arms, the angle of his body, feet etc.  But observing the student is another matter.  Do you work with any of that?

Hello and thanks for your questions. :) I teach all levels. I can (and do) start all the way from the beginning often. You bring up some interesting points. In my opinion, it is usually the more advanced students that are more work to teach.
     Learning to read the notes and how to count is quite easy to do online/computer/skype etc. (A lot of students who take lessons in person even practice online to get better at reading notes out side of lessons. I make sure that the student is completely visible so that I can observe them. And if they can manage, I ask to put a mirror on the side that the camera isn't on, that way I see both sides of them. Technique is mostly taught using my ears. I can hear tension in the students playing and almost always isolate where it's coming from.
     However, with very advanced pupils, a lot of things are worked out so the problems get more and more specific and narrowed. Identifying them at that point is harder to do but again, it always gets worked out by the end of the lesson.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions. :) -Aaron

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 12:18:01 PM
Tbh, my confidence would have been greater had I read some doubts, along with the positives.  That may come with experience.  I don't know if what I wrote makes sense.

Offline aaronpetit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 03:53:24 PM
Tbh, my confidence would have been greater had I read some doubts, along with the positives.  That may come with experience.  I don't know if what I wrote makes sense.

Well, yes I think I hear what you're saying. You are right, more challeges may come with more experience. But, I don't see any point in worrying about doubts that may happen when you can look forward to may happen instead. It doesn't mean I am not cautious and let thinks get swept under the rug, but if there isn't a problem, I don't look for one. :) I guess that just my way of thinking. There were 3-4 challenges that I discussed in previous responses though so maybe I am misunderstanding you cause it seems that that's what you are looking for? I don't know. Thanks for your comment. :) -Aaron
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert