Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Partners' responses.  (Read 1227 times)

Offline iancollett6

• PS Silver Member
Partners' responses.
on: August 10, 2014, 10:35:51 AM
How do your wives or husbands respond to constant pounding of the same 3 bars?....
"War is terrorism by the rich and terrorism is war by the poor." Peter Ustinov

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: Partners' responses.
Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 02:16:36 PM
I've heard people say they just tune out my practicing.

I was surprised to hear several people say how nice it must be to have someone around who is practicing because they get to hear live music all the time.  I never really thought that was the case.  "Hey!  You get to hear me repeat this section ten times. And then I'll go over the next section really slowly.  And then another section.  And then all put it all together.  Then... get this... I'm going to playing through all the major and minor scales.  It's quite exciting."
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 03:23:57 PM
She likes it when I practice.  Legit.

We'll go to a practice room together and I'll practice while she studdies. 
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline liszt1022

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 11:33:17 PM
It's been great for my development as a pianist and origami artist that my wife is very hard to impress. It keeps me working!

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 12:48:29 AM
My wife has heard me play just about every day for the last thirty-four years. She doesn't comment very often, but when she does I pay attention because her musical perception is very acute and her observations are invariably correct. She is a true music lover, and they are far rarer than people who know a lot about music and piano playing.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline kevin69

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 07:32:34 AM
My wife enjoys listening to me play, and has re-arranged the house so that she can hear me play more easily from the kitchen when she cooks. Since i started playing about 2 years ago, my children have both taken up musical instruments themselves and my wife has returned to playing music after a lapse of about 15 years.

Offline iancollett6

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 08:59:06 AM
My wife enjoys listening to me play, and has re-arranged the house so that she can hear me play more easily from the kitchen when she cooks. Since i started playing about 2 years ago, my children have both taken up musical instruments themselves and my wife has returned to playing music after a lapse of about 15 years.

Thats great about the kids, but with your wife's appreciation, with all fairness, 2 years is still in the honeymoon phase!
"War is terrorism by the rich and terrorism is war by the poor." Peter Ustinov

Offline kevin69

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 06:44:57 PM
Thats great about the kids, but with your wife's appreciation, with all fairness, 2 years is still in the honeymoon phase!

Ah.
Possibly she will come to regret buying me the piano then :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert