Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Original Work - Prelude in C# Minor Op.3 No.10  (Read 1244 times)

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Original Work - Prelude in C# Minor Op.3 No.10
on: August 11, 2014, 10:05:27 PM
This is my first post in the Audition room. Hope you enjoy. Composers that inspired this composition are Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Scriabin, and a little bit of Brahms.

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Re: Original Work - Prelude in C# Minor Op.3 No.10
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 10:06:03 PM
If anyone wants the score send me a pm on here.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 10:52:29 PM
It's a very nice sounding piece. Great atmosphere and you played it well. I like the effect of the alternating g natural - g sharp in the left hand. Is it intentional that you have spelled all dominants with a c natural instead of a b sharp? It looks a bit unprofessional to me.

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 10:56:14 PM
Thanks for the reply! It wasn't really intentional. However, although it might be more unprofessional (i'll trust you there) I think C natural is easier to read than B sharp. Thanks for the reply!

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 01:04:50 AM
I love what you did man, and not only that but you played your own music as well. Good sh*t man. C natural b sharp, who cares? As long as you understand what's going on it shouldn't matter. At least it's not a triple sharp or written in d flat minor ;D

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 01:09:44 AM
Thanks a lot James! Glad you enjoyed it.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 01:32:58 AM
I do like this!  :D

Are we going to be privileged with the first 9?

On the B#/C thing, I'm not too fussed either way, but have a slight preference for B#. That said, if you go the C route, you probably should include courtesy accidentals on the return to C# over bar lines.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 01:38:05 AM
Hi Menz. I am glad you enjoyed it! I am currently writing a set of 24 preludes and I have 4 done so far. I'm not writing them in order of key, I'm just writing in what ever key my musical idea is in if that makes sense. Thanks for the feed back on the accidentals. I may fix that. Thanks again!

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 01:48:30 AM
Hi ajlongspiano!

Thank you for posting your original composition, and welcome to the audition room!

I don't mean to sound like some sort of adjudicator, but I noticed that in the second half of measure 24, you played different notes in the right hand than what you have written in the score! You played B and G# (in octaves), whereas you have written the notes C# and B (also in octaves).

Was this deviation from the score intentional?

I noticed a few other minor discrepancies as well... for example, in measures 19, 22, 25, and 34.
In measure 29, there is very peculiar clash harmonically between C# in the RH, and C natural in the LH, which seems rather odd, and possibly accidental. Did you really intend to have that dissonance?
I hear the clash between C# and C natural again in measure 39.... it seems a bit out of character with the general style of the work.  Perhaps a G# in the bass would be preferable to the C natural, no?

I do appreciate that you posted an actual recording of yourself playing this, rather than the usual midi files we tend to get of people's compositions!  

Keep composing! The world needs more original musical voices!

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 02:24:18 AM
Hi awesom_o. Thanks for the feedback! I didn't have the piece completely memorized so that's why some notes are different. I also felt that I could take the liberty of playing with a more improvisational quality since it's my own work. Feels great to not have to play the same notes every time! The dissonance on M.29 is intentional. I hope you liked my work overall.

Offline liszt1022

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 03:09:21 AM
I don't feel the character of 6/8 with all the dotted eighths in the melody, I feel like it would be more comfortable in 4/4 with triplet eights (like the following section.)

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 03:13:27 AM
Hi awesom_o. Thanks for the feedback! I didn't have the piece completely memorized so that's why some notes are different. I also felt that I could take the liberty of playing with a more improvisational quality since it's my own work. Feels great to not have to play the same notes every time! The dissonance on M.29 is intentional. I hope you liked my work overall.

For the record, I do not memorize my own works. I play them with the score, always! I think that this allows me, in a strange way, to feel LESS straight-jacketed, and more free to improvise spur-of-the-moment ornamentation, etc, than if I were to commit them to memory!

I don't like to play my works ever in the exact same way twice. I believe music is an organic substance.... and the same piece could sound very different when played by two different artists, or even when played by the same artist on two different days.

Your work shows considerable promise, although it feels slightly rough around the edges harmonically in a few places. I particularly liked parts of the middle section!

While it is perfectly acceptable to be inspired by such noble and legendary names as Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Scriabin, and Brahms, I would encourage you to develop your own original style free from the influence of others.... even if you have chosen the greatest of 'others' as your source of inspiration!  
 :)
If you don't mind my asking, how far have you gone in formal studies in music theory?
Have you taken examinations in advanced harmony and counterpoint?

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 03:34:03 AM
I do not formally study composition or theory and I've been composing for like a year. I study classical scores intensely to learn more composition techniques

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 03:58:47 AM
In my opinion, formal study of composition is usually a specious undertaking at the best of times.

However, formal studies of the rudiments of theory, followed by the more advanced specializations of harmony and counterpoint, are absolutely invaluable!

Offline pianoguy711

Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 05:01:53 AM
Thanks for sharing your work.  I like the middle section a lot. I think its the strongest part of the work.  I kind of wish the whole thing was in 4/4 like another comment mentioned.  I dont feel that 6/8 lilt. 

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 05:41:35 PM
Thanks for the responses everybody.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert