Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Bach records  (Read 1177 times)

Offline marao

• PS Silver Member
Bach records
on: August 21, 2014, 11:01:54 AM
Hi, Folks!
I need some help.
I would like to get a complete Bach box, but i dont know about good records.

There is a lot of box to sale with different musicians, regents ad quality,  some of them are incomplete either.
Does anyone would suggest some  box, please.

thank you for while.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bach records
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 12:01:18 PM
Are you looking for Bach keyboard works or all of Bach?

Personally, I'd mix and match to form your own box set.  You will probably get more satisfaction of out of it that way, as more of the performances will be to your taste. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline cbreemer

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bach records
Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 07:00:29 PM
The Brilliant Classics complete Bach Edition is an option. Quality is uneven but I found some surprisingly good discs in there. The Passions and Masses are very fine IMO, the concerti
and Brandenburgs are good, Hans Fagius is reliable (if not especially exciting) in the organ works.
The cantatas are really a mixed bag. Some are very good, and some are rather poor rush jobs, the soloists and the Holland Boys Choir not always optionally voiced (let's put it mildly). The bass soloist Bas van Ramselaar is very impressive though.
I have not listened too much to the keyboard works by various artists. IMO they're adequate but
not much more than that. All in all it's good value for money if you are a Bach completist. But
you're unlikely to want to listen to all of it, given the variable quality. I did not either - in fact I sold part of the set.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert