Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Brahms 2 - Zimerman and Technical Advice  (Read 1843 times)

Offline gapoc459

• PS Silver Member
Brahms 2 - Zimerman and Technical Advice
on: August 21, 2014, 08:15:33 PM
So, Brahms 2 is by far my favorite concerto, recently it occurred to me that I should try to play it! I have been tremendously inspired, yet terrified by Zimerman's recording with Bernstein and the VPO:
. I know it's generally not considered THE best performance, but it's my favorite (largely because of the video and because I haven't listened closely to the famed Gilels yet). The musical merits are many, but I'm asking primarily about technique here.

There are many videos that demonstrate Zimerman's perfect technique, and I'm not saying he's the only one with technique like this, but his is a standard that, like I said, inspires me yet scares me off at the same time. His fingers appear so strong, much of what he does in this video seems physically impossible, bar perhaps some genetic gift. I don't know how hand physiology works entirely, but how are moments like 8:17 (so effortless, so clear, yet SO fast), 8:40 (what?!?), the equivalent passages in the recap, and then the tremolos at the end, 18:33 (?!?!?!?!!?!), among many others, possible? Is there any way I can achieve similar results?

Is there:
a, a "secret" as to how such relaxation and power can be achieved,
b, simply a loooooot of practice, or
c, unattainable genetic luck

involved? I'm guessing some combination of the three. But I'd be curious to hear your opinions.

(Also, can Dohnanyi help at all by any chance?) I have a year and a half before the competition where I'd like to play the first movement (and college auditions!), and I want to see what I can do.
Currently working on Beethoven: 
Piano Concerto in C minor, Op. 37
Piano Sonata No. 4 in E flat, Op. 7
Piano Sonata No. 23 in F minor "Appassionata", Op. 57
Piano Sonata No. 27 in E minor, Op. 90

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Re: Brahms 2 - Zimerman and Technical Advice
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 03:18:42 PM
The answer is of course a combination of A and B, without any trace of C whatsoever.

The problem that many people encounter is the fact that poor-quality practice, no matter how high the quantity, simply doesn't produce the results that can be achieved with moderate quantities of high-quality practice.

Don't waste your time with Dohnanyi. Instead, master the most challenging permutations of the major and minor scales, and study the great Baroque masters with due diligence. The road to success is paved in Bach. But don't neglect Byrd, Rameau, or Couperin!

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 03:52:28 PM
(Also, can Dohnanyi help at all by any chance?)

No. The deliberate awkwardness in Brahms' music can be overcome only by playing as many of his works as possible. If you are pressed for time, try his 51 etudes/exercises instead. There is a recording on YouTube. Although they are far from being repertoire pieces, these exercises give you at least an encyclopedic overview of what Brahms technique entails.
P.S.: Not only as written, but also in different keys!
No amount of how-to information is going to work if you have the wrong mindset, the wrong guiding philosophies. Avoid losers like the plague, and gather with and learn from winners only.

Offline gvans

Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 02:55:54 AM
Good luck with it, gapoc. I'm sincere. I've played a fair amount of Brahms (rhapsodies, intermezzi, viola, violin (2), and cello sonatas, and two trios). I dearly love the Bb Major concerto, but I've put off learning it. From time to time I pull out the score and read through it, though. The composer's own nickname for it, The Long Terror, is an apt one.

Hey, if you love it, give it a go. Musically, it is in many ways a symphony with the piano soloist integrated tightly with the work. For all the pyrotechnics and technique required, you won't get a lot of kudos from the paparazzi as soloist. But the music...the music is fit for the gods.

One thing about it. Maybe it's just me, but the first three movements outshine the last. There's nothing wrong, per se, with the finale, and perhaps it's perfect in its lack of angst, its low titer of sturm und drang after the powerful emotions wrought by the first three. But it's just not quite as moving, at least for me. NB: the finale has a lickity-split double octave passage that must be played pp. Quite a feat.

Offline gapoc459

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 01:08:22 PM
Thanks for the responses.

The ending is quite interesting. When I first heard these two concertos I loved the D minor, didn't really care for the B-flat, though I loved the last movement immediately. The absolute coda (or lack thereof) is admittedly disappointing, but overall I love the movement as much as the rest.

I'm just starting with a new teacher, so let's hope he guides me towards "moderate amounts of high quality practice!"
Currently working on Beethoven: 
Piano Concerto in C minor, Op. 37
Piano Sonata No. 4 in E flat, Op. 7
Piano Sonata No. 23 in F minor "Appassionata", Op. 57
Piano Sonata No. 27 in E minor, Op. 90
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert