Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Piano Teacher Trouble and Nyssma Advice?  (Read 1398 times)

Offline ely89

Piano Teacher Trouble and Nyssma Advice?
on: August 25, 2014, 07:20:55 PM
Well I'm new to this and decided to join!! ;D

I should first start off with my current piano teacher...

Months ago I switched to this teacher...

I feel like he isn't actually helping me. Over the past few months, I have learned no music theory or any pieces from him...

I'm not even sure he plays piano. The only time I heard him play was him showing me a scale which was MONTHS ago... But he seems like more of a guitarist rather than a pianist because hes actually amazing at guitar!

I actually got myself to print out pieces off of IMSLP and learn them myself!!!

So that's my teacher..

I cant find another teacher in my area either so now this is really a problem...

NYSSMA is also coming up. (An event that allows musicians and vocalists to preform a piece and be judged by an adjudicator)

Last year I preformed a level 4 piece called "Sonatina Op. 20 no. 1" by Friedrich Khulau

I need to preform a piano piece and I have nothing prepared! The last time I needed to go to Nyssma, I couldn't perform because my teacher thought "Arabesque" by Debussy was too hard. I started learning it by myself.

I just need advice from a REAL teacher who can help me

I would really appreciate any advice!!

Heres a link to the piece:

Im not really sure how to use the youtube thing so if that didn't work heres a link:

Online lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano Teacher Trouble and Nyssma Advice?
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 02:13:41 AM
I'm curious as to what your teacher actually is teaching you if you feel he isn't helping you in any way and why you couldn't open a dialogue with them and ask for specific instruction (you are paying for the service after all!).

In terms of advice I think you will find you will get a lot more helpful responses if you mention particular bars you are having problems with and why.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert