Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Shouldnt have learned the Waltz and the polonaise...  (Read 1198 times)

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Shouldnt have learned the Waltz and the polonaise...
on: September 04, 2014, 11:03:23 PM
Now I have a huge marble/lump on my wrist. I'll probably go to a clinic just to make sure playing these pieces didnt give me cancer (joking obviously). Hopefully its nothing to dangerous. Has anyone else here experienced this? Get a weird looking marble on their wrist cause of playing piano? is it like some kind of muscle stress? And yeah the op 42, and the op. 26 polonaise are the most difficult pieces I've learned so far. Fun very fun, but...

Getting worried.

I dont want to hear the doctor go like, "yeah, were going to have to amputate that."  :-X

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Shouldnt have learned the Waltz and the polonaise...
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 11:08:56 PM
It's probably a ganglion cyst. Nothing to worry about, though you should have it properly diagnosed.

Probably unrelated to your playing, and likely to go away of its own accord in time.

Now, that huge lump on your shoulders may be another matter....  :P
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 11:46:24 PM

Now, that huge lump on your shoulders may be another matter....  :P

wow................
everytime j
everytime...

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 11:58:44 PM
everytime j
everytime...

Nah, never on Sunday.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 03:44:42 AM
Now I have a huge marble/lump on my wrist. I'll probably go to a clinic just to make sure playing these pieces didnt give me cancer (joking obviously). Hopefully its nothing to dangerous. Has anyone else here experienced this? Get a weird looking marble on their wrist cause of playing piano? is it like some kind of muscle stress? And yeah the op 42, and the op. 26 polonaise are the most difficult pieces I've learned so far. Fun very fun, but...

Getting worried.

I dont want to hear the doctor go like, "yeah, were going to have to amputate that."  :-X

Just like Jmenz said, it's most probably a ganglion cyst. Not dangerous, but can be a sign of joint misuse.

In the old days they were "treated" by hitting with a heavy book  ;D
It's possible to empty them, but they often come back. They can also be operated, but they still often recur and if one is unlucky like my friend, there can be complications from the operation much worse than the cysts, so I wouldn't recommend that unless they are really making you life difficult.

I have had them too. I had a big one as a teenager, it went away in about a year by itself. Then I got one about 5 years ago on my left wrist. I got it after getting a new bicyckle, so it was related to having a bad wrist position while cyckling. That one actually diminished after I started playing the piano and learned better wrist technique. So yes, it might be related to your playing technique. Do you have a teacher?

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 03:46:36 AM
Hm.  What causes that?  Those look like they're just out of nowhere.

On my wrist, opposite of the thumb, that bump on the wrist puffed up on my hand when I rested my hand/arm weight on it with a mouse a few years ago.  Went away on its own.  Looked more red and puffy than the cyst pics above.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 03:55:29 AM
Hm.  What causes that?  

They don't know really why some people get them and others don't, but some kind of stress on the wrist is a likely cause.

One can also have them inside the wrist so that they are not big visible lumps. Those can cause more problems and pain.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 02:20:25 PM
I'll be honest though, the first page and a half of the waltz. You have no idea how many times i replayed that just to get it "right". Right as in not making my own playing puke. But yeah, it's definitely not coincidence that i got it while practicing it >_> It doesn't hurt, and its not red so yeah, nothing to worry about...i guess

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 02:24:10 PM

In the old days they were "treated" by hitting with a heavy book  ;D
So yes, it might be related to your playing technique. Do you have a teacher?

There are no classical piano teachers in maputo, Mozambique

Right now im in the US for university, and i don't think I'm going to pursue piano practice. Not enough free time. :(
Still cant find a quiet place to practice on campus.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 05:04:31 PM
There are no classical piano teachers in maputo, Mozambique

Right now im in the US for university, and i don't think I'm going to pursue piano practice. Not enough free time. :(
Still cant find a quiet place to practice on campus.

OK...but if you decide to go on with practicing such repertoire, it would be best to get at least a few lessons from a teacher who can teach you the right wrist positions and how to avoid tension.

If you can't do that, you should learn it yourself, which is not impossible, but difficult. The most important thing will be to learn to keep your wrists straight as much as possible and avoid extreme flexing. Don't play with tense low wrists and don't twist sideways.

Repeating the same movements endlessly is usually not a good thing for your body. And it's not the most efficient way to learn either.

Offline flashyfingers

Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 04:13:15 AM
can we get a pic...? ;D
I'm hungry
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert