Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Comedy Piano Performance Help  (Read 1151 times)

Offline gaptrast

• PS Silver Member
Comedy Piano Performance Help
on: September 06, 2014, 05:23:22 PM
Hi,

I am in a music class in school and we have planned a concert in about 6-7 weeks (23. oct). It is mostly parents and friends there, and we use to have about 15 performances in the concert (mostly pop, rock and some classical).

The thing is, last year we had our first concert, and then I and two others made a Super Mario Medley using piano, drums and a xylophone. The performance was a huge success (people laughed) because (1) it was a recognizable and known fun melody, (2) we performed it well technically and (3) we added breaks and elements where we stopped and looked at the audience and then started again.

This year our trio is expected and we really want to make something fun again. The problem is that we have a hard time finding something to play that is as good fitted as Super Mario (most people know it, good piece musicially, can be played with our instruments). After some thinking we have come to the decision that it may be easier/better to make some kind of medley or mashup of different well-known melodies (pop,rock,classical and even children songs). But although we come up with a bunch of recognizable pieces we can use, we have a hard time making a performance out of them.

So my question is if anyone of you can come up with either and idea on how to do the performance or a specific piece that will fit as a standalone or as a part of a mashup.

All ideas are welcome and we really need some inspiration!

Offline pianoplunker

• PS Silver Member
Re: Comedy Piano Performance Help
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 11:10:40 PM
Hi,

I am in a music class in school and we have planned a concert in about 6-7 weeks (23. oct). It is mostly parents and friends there, and we use to have about 15 performances in the concert (mostly pop, rock and some classical).

The thing is, last year we had our first concert, and then I and two others made a Super Mario Medley using piano, drums and a xylophone. The performance was a huge success (people laughed) because (1) it was a recognizable and known fun melody, (2) we performed it well technically and (3) we added breaks and elements where we stopped and looked at the audience and then started again.

This year our trio is expected and we really want to make something fun again. The problem is that we have a hard time finding something to play that is as good fitted as Super Mario (most people know it, good piece musicially, can be played with our instruments). After some thinking we have come to the decision that it may be easier/better to make some kind of medley or mashup of different well-known melodies (pop,rock,classical and even children songs). But although we come up with a bunch of recognizable pieces we can use, we have a hard time making a performance out of them.

So my question is if anyone of you can come up with either and idea on how to do the performance or a specific piece that will fit as a standalone or as a part of a mashup.

All ideas are welcome and we really need some inspiration!

If you are familiar with pop or whatever genre, you could try something similar to what the Axis of Awesome does with the same chords
. Danger Danger - Brief use of F-word in the beginning

Offline nakashihiruma

Re: Comedy Piano Performance Help
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 12:59:26 AM
Yakety Sax would be good alongside something since it's rather repetitive.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert