Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Souvenir de Porto Rico - difficulty  (Read 2119 times)

Offline vikktorious

• PS Silver Member
Souvenir de Porto Rico - difficulty
on: September 09, 2014, 02:10:13 PM
Hi guys,
(At first, sorry if i make any english mistakes)
I am 17 years old, been playing the piano for 9 years, last year (when I was still 16 years old) I played Beethoven sonata no.9 op.14 1-2-3 mvt, Rachmaninoff prelude in C-Sharp minor, Bach prelude and fugue, some czerny etudes and my main etude : Goce Kolarovski - preludio-etude ( an author from my country ), and I also played with a violin, we played together Schindler's list and a beethoven sonata for piano and violin. So what im asking now is, because I heard Souvenir de Porto Rico on youtube and it seemed a lot difficult, I am asking you guys can you judge by the material i've played last year, am I ready for Souvenir de Porto Rico?
Btw for this year im planning on playing Chopin Nocturne No.1 in C Minor op 48, Beethoven Sonata no.27 in Em op.90, Bach - prelude and fugue (dont know which), Liszt - Liebestraum no.3 (my favorite) and  Edvard Grieg - Stimmungen, Op. 73 - V. Studie (Hommage a Chopin). Thanks for your feedback! 
Find the music in yourself and let it grow :)

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Souvenir de Porto Rico - difficulty
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 03:19:25 PM
just give it a whril and see. i've played it and have plans to circle back around and finish it (had it mostly there then got distracted w/ other pieces).  it's easier than it sounds, but it is not 'easy'. great piece btw, you should do it. doesnt' get a ton of play, and it's one of his finer works.
:-)

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Souvenir de Porto Rico - difficulty
Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 10:10:40 PM
one of his finer works.

Gottschalk, btw, for anyone like me who had to look it up.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert