Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Alternating parallel chromatic sixths: Shostakovich Piano Concerto no. 2  (Read 1808 times)

Offline divided_loyalties

• PS Silver Member
Hello all

So for my second semester exam I've chosen this concerto. It's my first major piano concerto and thus far things are going great! It's one of my favourite Shostas (though I reckon it's one of EVERYONE's favourite Shostas).

At this stage, I've managed to push it to about three quarters of the desired tempo I wish to perform it at (slightly slower than Bernstein and slightly faster than Bronfman). Most of the runs and octave passages are relatively even (not always, but my metronome is a great help in this regard) and even the arpeggiated section before the cadenza isn't much of a hassle. My real problem, however, lies in a series of rapidly descending chromatic sixths which alternate between the right and left hand within the development section.

I was able to play them evenly and fluently before...but after picking up the pace they seem to be falling apart. I suspect it has to do with my finger-indications, though I'll run that through with my lecturer when next I have a lesson. Could anyone give me some tips aside from playing them slowly? They seem to break even then!

WORKING ON (Accompaniment)

Brahms- Violin Sonata 3 in d, Op. 108
Prokofiev- Flute Sonata in D, Op. 94
Debussy- Ariettes Oubliees, L.60
Debussy- Cello Sonata, L.135

Offline nyiregyhazi

• PS Silver Member
What's your fingering? You should always have a legato fingering between at least one of the upper/lower lines in each hand. Even when not playing legato, it organises everything .

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert