Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Anyone tried compression sleeves?  (Read 3428 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Anyone tried compression sleeves?
on: September 21, 2014, 05:12:54 AM
Something like this...
https://www.stromgren.com/products/120-compression-sleeves.php

Supposed to have an effect on blood flow, healing time, etc. 

Just wondering.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline flashyfingers

Re: Anyone tried compression sleeves?
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 05:49:58 PM
I love compression. It really increased healing time, especially if you use ice packs. I used compression right below my elbow. I felt better the same day. You have to be really careful with how much you compress. I wouldn't do it for more than a day or two, and definitely never sleep with the device on. EVER.

Ice therapy helps a ton, too. This is all in regards to tennis elbow and golfer's elbow.
I'm hungry

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 06:47:47 PM
I'd advise one if your finger work is affecting your elbow.  I used one to get through some intensive finger work a few years ago.  Eventually you build up the required ligamental/facia support and it's not needed.  That's as long as you've got good technique in the first place.  
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 11:43:19 PM
How long do you use those for?   It looked like they were supposed to be used during exercise and maybe afterward, if they actually speed up healing.  Reducing soreness sounded good, even if things don't actually heal faster.   Who wants to be sore?

What's wrong with leaving them on?  They're too tight/restrict the bloodflow too much?  I thought they were supposed to increase bloodflow, but I also found a post about someone getting cold feet while wearing compressions socks.  They do have different strengths though I think. 

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 06:37:26 AM
I had no idea how to use it.  I'd put it on to practice and leave it on for 1/2 hour or so after.  I did some googling - there's no scientific evidence for what they do/how they work.  A friend who is an orthopaedic surgeon spents all day handing them out.  She was surprised there's no science behind it. 
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline flashyfingers

Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 01:48:37 PM
I would think it works like this: injury causes the body to produce more white cells and blood pressure rises. The heart works harder. The heart works in response to the calls that your hands are making, when they are in pain. If you put the compression sleeves on, your heart does not sense a difference in blood pressure drops or calls for help when you start working with your hands (excessively and violently). I am no doctor, but it makes sense to me!
I'm hungry

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 06:24:48 PM
I would say it gives you an extra layer of fascia (so unappreciated a structure) which prevents injury.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 03:41:34 AM
How tight are real compressions sleeves, etc. compared to... Just wrapping you arm in one of those elastic bandages?  The sleeves look expensive.  Those bandages are like $2-3 here.

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 05:15:05 PM
I used one like this for about £4:

Surely your health is worth it?
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline flashyfingers

Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 06:53:40 PM
I just got my pink ones in.

Basketball players use these, why not pianists!!
I'm hungry

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 02:28:20 AM
I went for a run the other day and pushed it.  At night I wrapped up with the cheapy $2 bandages, looked like a mummy. 

Possibly less delayed muscle soreness the next day.  Like there was a dampening effect.  That seems worth it, except it was a pain to put the bandages on and a little weird to sleep with that stuff on.  I was wondering if it's worth it compared to living with some delayed muscle soreness.... (I guess I have my answer, because I exercised today and I'm not wrapping myself in that stuff.)

I saw a finger wrapped up.  Just get smaller width bandage wrap and you're set.

Offline flashyfingers

Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 02:56:39 AM
I practice things I shouldn't be touching for years, with compression sleeves on. It helps me a lot. I feel no pain. It's like it helps me keep track of bad habits and holds me back.
I'm hungry

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 03:39:58 AM
Compression anything for clothing I guess.

https://www.tommiecopper.com/product/mens-half-finger-compression-gloves

I saw a compression face mask the other day. 

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 06:15:51 AM
I practice things I shouldn't be touching for years, with compression sleeves on. It helps me a lot. I feel no pain. It's like it helps me keep track of bad habits and holds me back.
That doesn't make sense.  There's nothing you 'shouldn't be touching for years' if you technique is correct.  Speed takes time, yes.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline flashyfingers

Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 04:00:18 PM
That doesn't make sense.  There's nothing you 'shouldn't be touching for years' if you technique is correct.  Speed takes time, yes.

My technique is pretty awesome, then. lol
I'm hungry
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert