Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Song of the Waterfall harmonic progression  (Read 1032 times)

Offline quaver

• PS Silver Member
Song of the Waterfall harmonic progression
on: September 29, 2014, 09:27:01 PM
I am trying to understand the harmonic progressions in Song of the Waterfall by Loeschhorn.  It is in d minor.  In measure six I have the IV chord (of d minor) for the first two beats.  The third beat has the notes of a C7 chord. So how would that fit in d minor, it doesn't seem to belong.

Offline pianoguy711

Re: Song of the Waterfall harmonic progression
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 03:07:03 PM
the C7 is a transition chord probably to the relative major (F major). the IV chord that came before (g minor) is the II chord of F major and C7 is the V chord of F major.  In jazz we call this a II-V-I chord progression.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Re: Song of the Waterfall harmonic progression
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 05:56:31 PM
He is indeed modulating to F major. After the C7 comes a d minor chord which in this case makes it a deceptive cadence - you think he is going to land on F major after the C7, but lands on d minor instead which is the tonic paralell in F major. However you still know he is thinking in F major because the following two bars before the repeat are moving towards landing on that F major chord.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert