Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: concentration in piano lessons  (Read 6667 times)

Offline happygela

concentration in piano lessons
on: October 02, 2014, 03:16:13 PM
I'm not doing well in the recent piano lessons and frequently criticized by the teacher. The main issue is that I cannot change my previous habit of wrong playing to the correct one. The teacher said he understands where I stand now and think the main issue is I'm not concentrated enough and not hear him nor the music. I don't know why. I want to perform well in the class and make it efficient. Do you have any idea about this?

Offline cwjalex

Re: concentration in piano lessons
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 05:40:56 PM
what is your previous bad habit that you are trying to correct?

Offline happygela

Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 07:02:17 PM
The problem is there are staccato among legato and after I do the staccato, I continue staccato after it when it should be legato. I know it but it's hard for me to switch somehow. I can do it for several measures but then I forget about it again afterwards

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 04:09:30 AM
The problem is there are staccato among legato and after I do the staccato, I continue staccato after it when it should be legato. I know it but it's hard for me to switch somehow. I can do it for several measures but then I forget about it again afterwards

That happens. You need to concentrate on what you are doing to not fall on these traps of automatic movements. I think the best way to help you learn to do that is practicing very slowly and deliberately. This you need to do at home, but the results you will see on the lessons.

EDIT: Corrected your spelling mistakes

Offline cwjalex

Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 04:16:48 AM
i know what staccato is but what is regato? is that like playing notes normally and letting them ring?

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 11:17:17 AM
i know what staccato is but what is regato? is that like playing notes normally and letting them ring?
Legato.  In some languages there is a sound that is half ways between R and L, and the two letters get mixed up.

Offline happygela

Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 01:47:31 PM
That happens. You need to concentrate on what you are doing to not fall on these traps of automatic movements. I think the best way to help you learn to do that is practicing very slowly and deliberately. This you need to do at home, but the results you will see on the lessons.

EDIT: Corrected your spelling mistakes

It's indeed these automatic movements that cause the problem. I'm practicing it very slowly at home now. The teacher complained one big problem is that I seem to resist him in class and cannot make the improvement soon enough, which I feel a bit wronged. I want to but just cannot do that immediately.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 05:25:35 PM
It's indeed these automatic movements that cause the problem. I'm practicing it very slowly at home now. The teacher complained one big problem is that I seem to resist him in class and cannot make the improvement soon enough, which I feel a bit wronged. I want to but just cannot do that immediately.

I'm like that too. me and my teacher have an understanding: She tells me what I should do and how. I go home, sit down and figure out what she means and then learn how to do it.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert