Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Could 3 years old children play piano with 5 fingers?  (Read 3932 times)

Offline feilin

• PS Silver Member
Could 3 years old children play piano with 5 fingers?
on: October 10, 2014, 04:12:16 PM
Hi all,

I haven't teach children younger than 6 years old before. Could 3 years old children play piano with 5 fingers? Will it harm their fingers? What method do you suggest for a preschool student?

Thanks for your help :)

Offline cwjalex

Re: Could 3 years old children play piano with 5 fingers?
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 03:22:36 PM
im sure some can but i'm thinking most can't.  i really wouldn't be inclined to take on a 3 year old student unless they demonstrated a certain amount of coordination and desire to play.  that is of course you just need the money then go for it. 

Offline pianoslav

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 05:52:44 PM
If you do end up teaching a 3 yr old to play, you would have to use a keyboard with unweighted keys. I have 5 and 6 yr olds who initially have trouble pressing the keys on my grand piano, so I would imagine that it would be too difficult, if not harmful, for anyone younger.

Offline shine11

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 06:55:06 PM
If you take them on,this method is great. Use the animal notes edition and get them to sing the animal names as they play. I've had a few three yr olds over the years but only ever teach them for around 15 mins at a time. Usually have concentration span of a knat!

https://www.dogsandbirds.co.uk/

Offline shine11

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 06:58:29 PM
Or a gnat even ;)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert