Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Looking for some answers  (Read 1023 times)

Offline devron

• PS Silver Member
Looking for some answers
on: October 12, 2014, 12:49:25 PM
I am 23 years old and I just began teaching piano. I have maybe 40 students but they are all very young and mostly beginners no intermediate students yet.  In my playing I know my sight-reading is a serious struggle but my technical abilities are far beyond my reading, the problem is I had instruction.   

I have taken piano lessons my entire life, and this is the first time I have ever enjoy playing so much. I don't know if it is because the lack of instruction I feel like I have more freedom to improvise which I had never focused on before.  When I was a child what caught my eye for piano was the blend of the sounds of jazz with classical. I began doing it with the chopin nocturnes to help learn harmony of the piece, found some cool chords as well.

I went from a purely improvised teacher, to one that was so focused on technique and how to play, along the switch of instructors I ran across some hardship. Recently I just had a epiphany, piano is my life and it will be my life, I have never had tears of happiness before.  I have never looked at it as a way to make money just some where to release all of my stress, now that stress is turning into beautiful colors and a understanding of music I have never had before.

It is amazing, it was all in one week I suddenly became excellent at reading people my ear has become so in tune when I used to be completely tone deaf.  I can feel what's happening around me just in sound. I struggle very much in Aural theory, I just could never hear the cords change. Now when I play I can put words to the melody, I just kinda think of a phrase and fit the sound to it. I don't know what's happening but I was wondering if anyone might have an idea what can happen that abruptly musically?

I have been taking the advice from the wealth of information on this site juggling is giving my left hard much better wrist coordination, also playing in a key before the piece has giving me the ability to improvise which I have never been able to do and like the sounds anyway.  Now all I want to hear is jazz, blues, and classical, this website Bernard especially your thought process changed my life, taking all of the knowledge I have acquired and combining it with math and anatomy makes the piano the greatest mystery on earth, thank you.