Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Elitism in music (rant)  (Read 2118 times)

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Elitism in music (rant)
on: October 13, 2014, 02:48:51 AM
Some dude on youtube just out-right called somebody (and me) a retard for typing out Rach instead of Rachmaninov. Wrote a paragraph (you guys do this too) about it: blah blah I studied rach my whole life  blah blah how dare you ruin his image by abbreviating his name blah blah respect him.

Seriously, just *** off.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Elitism in music (rant)
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 03:08:56 AM
So? A commenter on YT said something stupid/offensive?  :o

BTW, the real elitists call him Sergei Vasilievich.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 03:13:38 AM
So? A commenter on YT said something stupid/offensive?  :o

True........

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 03:45:02 AM
It's perfectly fine to shorten long names and use nicknames when talking about composers. Those peopole just don't belong to the inner circle so have to be formal. For me they are just Fred, Dommy, Scribby, Johnny, Eddy or just one of the Bs, and they are all quite ok with that.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 03:49:30 AM
Scribby

:o

I've always called him Lexie.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 03:56:22 AM
:o

I've always called him Lexie.

For some reason that sounds too feminine to me...

Offline pianoplunker

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 03:00:53 AM
Some dude on youtube just out-right called somebody (and me) a retard for typing out Rach instead of Rachmaninov. Wrote a paragraph (you guys do this too) about it: blah blah I studied rach my whole life  blah blah how dare you ruin his image by abbreviating his name blah blah respect him.

Seriously, just *** off.

Someone on the internet is wrong again. It's Rock... not Rach... geez how soft can you be. But I wont call you a retard.. that is just wrong

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 04:36:56 PM
Wat R U casul?

"The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears, the thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!"

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 04:48:49 PM
Someone was rude to you on the internet!?  Nooooo....  :o  :o
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 04:51:28 PM
the real elitists call him Sergei Vasilievich.
Surely the REAL élitists call him Серге́й Васи́льевич Рахма́нинов...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline cwjalex

Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 07:44:02 PM

Seriously, just *** off.
no sensible person is going to fault you for typing out rach i do it, and find it more respectful than spelling his name wrong.  just call him a douche and forget about him...hes not worth getting upset over

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 12:37:44 AM
Just ignore that poster.  Who knows what their motivation actually was?  Who knows their background, education, etc.?  

It could be someone doing that on purpose, a troll.  It could be someone who was told that and thinks it's the law.  It could be someone with some personality disorder and you hit on something that doesn't fit with their world.  It's very unknown.

Actually from the first line... Someone called you a name on youtube.  It doesn't really matter what for.  

I don't think I've paid much attention to youtube comments.  It's usually just garbage.

If it was something with a background, I'd check that.  Then it would depend on their background really, along with the comment.  But if they start with an insult... They're probably not trying to help you.  Someone could have insulted them at some point.  Maybe they're just venting and you happened to be there.

*Bob wonders about this comment strategy....*

Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline adagioandante

Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 05:45:24 AM
Sergei, the Rock. MAN ENOUGH?!

Offline adagioandante

Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 05:46:31 AM
Sergei, the Rock. MAN ENOUGH?!

Offline adagioandante

Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 05:47:12 AM
Oh. Whoops. Sorry, didn't mean to post twice.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 12:56:28 PM
How dare you even consider to romanise his name, use Russian characters only from now on please or forever be laughed at!
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 03:37:28 PM
BTW, the real elitists call him Sergei Vasilievich.

This may seem like "elitism" in some parts of the world, but the use of the patronymic (in this example "Vasilievich"=son of Vasily) to distinguish one adult male Sergei from another is very natural in Slavic cultures and has nothing to do with elitism. It is generally used in formal relationships among adults (a woman's patronymic has a different ending) to express respect, and to avoid having to use the construction Mr., Mrs. or Miss + last name all the time whenever you address them or talk about them with others. So, before labeling someone as an "elitist", you may want to find out first what culture they are from. :)
No amount of how-to information is going to work if you have the wrong mindset, the wrong guiding philosophies. Avoid losers like the plague, and gather with and learn from winners only.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 04:45:55 PM
Quote from: dima_76557link=topic=56399.msg608586#msg608586 date=1413473848
This may seem like "elitism" in some parts of the world, but the use of the patronymic (in this example "Vasilievich"=son of Vasily) to distinguish one adult male Sergei from another is very natural in Slavic cultures and has nothing to do with elitism. It is generally used in formal relationships among adults (a woman's patronymic has a different ending) to express respect, and to avoid having to use the construction Mr., Mrs. or Miss + last name all the time whenever you address them or talk about them with others. So, before labeling someone as an "elitist", you may want to find out first what culture they are from. :)

It's not elitist when YOU do it, but it would be if an american does ;)

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 04:55:50 PM
It's not elitist when YOU do it, but it would be if an american does ;)

In the West, you mean? For most people from Slavic cultures, however, I think it would simply be interpreted as a compliment coming from an American. No associations at all with elitism. :)
No amount of how-to information is going to work if you have the wrong mindset, the wrong guiding philosophies. Avoid losers like the plague, and gather with and learn from winners only.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 05:00:55 PM
Quote from: dima_76557link=topic=56399.msg608594#msg608594 date=1413478550
In the West, you mean? For most people from Slavic cultures, however, I think it would simply be interpreted as a compliment coming from an American. No associations at all with elitism. :)

Well, an average American doesn't tend to value other cultures very high, so it would most probably be an attempt to look smart :)

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 05:08:39 PM
so it would most probably be an attempt to look smart :)

...which is really really bad because Smart people don't get hired. Is that it? You have to try hard to look like the reverse of elitist? ;D

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: October 16, 2014, 05:19:53 PM
Quote from: dima_76557link=topic=56399.msg608597#msg608597 date=1413479319
...which is really really bad because Smart people don't get hired. Is that it? You have to try hard to look like the reverse of elitist? ;D

Hmmm... I don't recall many instances when I haven't been hired when applying  ;D

But seriously, if you want to get the job, it's best not to look smarter than the one interviewing... Often you should be of course, but that's usually irrelevant...

Offline justanamateur

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 03:23:39 PM
It's perfectly fine to shorten long names and use nicknames when talking about composers. Those peopole just don't belong to the inner circle so have to be formal. For me they are just Fred, Dommy, Scribby, Johnny, Eddy or just one of the Bs, and they are all quite ok with that.

Chopin, Scarlatti, Scriabin, Brahms/Bach, Grieg, Bach/Beethoven/Brahms/Bartok/Balakirev?
Chopin Op 18, Op 53, 62/2, 37/2, 10/12
Fauré Nocturne 5
Bach English Suite 3
Brahms 79/2

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: October 30, 2014, 03:39:08 AM
Chopin, Scarlatti, Scriabin, Brahms/Bach, Grieg, Bach/Beethoven/Brahms/Bartok/Balakirev?

I would never call my dearest friend Millie just one of the B's  :o

The 3rd B is of course Hector...

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: October 30, 2014, 05:08:36 PM
Wat R U casul?

lol.. spacebo.. but I am caza
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert