Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: How to read notes?  (Read 1388 times)

Offline marijn210999

How to read notes?
on: October 18, 2014, 12:12:54 PM
Hey,

Already since I began playing the piano I encounter difficulties with reading notes. Music in the tonics: C, G, D, F, B-flat, E-flat etc. aren't that much of a problem but when it comes to keys with 5, 6 or even 7 sharps or flats, it becomes very difficult to read for me. Is there any way to improve this reading?

Marijn

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Re: How to read notes?
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 12:52:07 PM
When there are many sharps or flats in key signature just consider what isnt sharp or flat and adjust for everything else.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 01:22:28 PM
It isn't harder to read those keys.
Sometimes mechanically it's even easier.  Your fingers may fit on the black keys better, and you know where you are by touch.

It isn't harder, it is just less familiar.  You need to spend time in those keys.  When I was working on keys I did one scale for a week, then added a sharp or flat depending on where I was the next week. 

I have run into 8 flats (Bbb in the signature) in band music.  That did throw me a bit at first.

Tim

Offline anima55

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 09:14:42 AM
The more practice you have of reading difficult keys and transferring these to the piano, the easier and more familiar these notes will become.  This is definitely something which comes with practice and use.

Offline chopincat

Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 12:12:45 AM
I'd recommend doing some scales and arpeggios in that key signature right before practicing the piece. Then you'll feel more accustomed to it.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 03:57:10 AM
You need to learn how to play in all keys with equal facility.

One of the best ways of developing this is to take a relatively straightforward tune (Happy Birthday to start with... eventually working up to something more complex such as your national anthem), and play it, with improvised accompaniment in the left hand and the melody in the right, in ALL keys.

I also suggest you learn to play cadences (I-V-I, I-IV-V-I, etc) in all keys by way of the circle of fifths WITH EYES CLOSED.

In addition to these exercises, work on playing formula pattern scales in all keys with eyes closed.

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 05:38:16 AM
What you need to be able to do is think in a key. The best way to learn this is probably improvisation. For example, when I learned the Chopin B major nocturne, I thought of everything as the notes in the B major scale, except for those (god damn) accidentals (double sharps in the case of the nocturne).
Keys with more sharps/flats aren't nessecarily harder to play, just harder to read, but if you can mentally think in a key, it becomes much easier. It also helps greatly with composing.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert