Piano Forum

Topic: Forearm problems  (Read 5021 times)

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Re: Forearm problems
Reply #100 on: October 23, 2014, 06:00:47 PM
Quote from: dima_76557link=topic=56440.msg609167#msg609167 date=1414086843
Can't help it but that is how it felt. Your tone wasn't exactly elegant if I may say so.

Oh, OK. But how did you decide then that your fingering will actually work a tempo, the more so for others?
I can play it a tempo but the insecurities in my Dim7 knowledge causes glitches.  The technique's a breeze - I could pass it on to muscle memory but wouldn't gain anything like as much.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #101 on: October 23, 2014, 06:27:57 PM
Stop arguing, the pair of you, before there's a forearm a hummin'. ;)
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #102 on: October 23, 2014, 06:35:32 PM
You bargin' in?
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #103 on: October 23, 2014, 06:44:13 PM
When you see the curvature of spacetime. . .
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline nyiregyhazi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #104 on: October 23, 2014, 11:44:58 PM
I can play it a tempo but the insecurities in my Dim7 knowledge causes glitches.  The technique's a breeze - I could pass it on to muscle memory but wouldn't gain anything like as much.

If you can't get yourself acquainted with all of three possible four note chords, I suggest you avoid virtually all music ever written. You'll be lost with 99.9 percent of it, based on that level of knowledge.

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #105 on: October 24, 2014, 03:14:55 AM
The technique's a breeze - I could pass it on to muscle memory but wouldn't gain anything like as much.

It still goes against Chopin, that's why it doesn't work. I have done all of the etudes and contrary to what you say in the Waltz topic, Chopin was obsessed not as much with the strength of the fourth finger, as he was with the index finger as a pivot point to gain simplicity of execution, something you seek to avoid with your fingering. Don't ask for a "source". It's experience that anyone who has really gone through the two sets of etudes will be happy to confirm.

Do the technique right and music is the result. Do the music right and technique is the result. There is no dividing whatsoever between those two in Chopin's music.

No amount of how-to information is going to work if you have the wrong mindset, the wrong guiding philosophies. Avoid losers like the plague, and gather with and learn from winners only.

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #106 on: October 24, 2014, 05:50:05 AM
Quote from: dima_76557link=topic=56440.msg609200#msg609200 date=1414120495
, Chopin was obsessed not as much with the strength of the fourth finger, as he was with the index finger as a pivot point to gain simplicity of execution,

'All that is left to me is a long nose and a fourth finger out of practice.' - Chopin .  You want to show me where, perhaps in his Method?, he mentions index fingers?
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #107 on: October 24, 2014, 06:01:56 AM
'All I have left is a big nose and an underdeveloped fourth finger' - Chopin .  You want to show me where, perhaps in his Method?, he mentions index fingers?

Perhaps, but I must say that my patience with you is gradually wearing out:
From Chopin's unfinished Method: "the pivot is the index finger, which divides the hand in half when it spreads open"; and, the third finger is "the middle and the pivot [point d'appui]". The sources are provided in the book.

https://books.google.com/books?id=UVVqMCoeJIkC&pg=PA231&lpg=PA231&dq=piano:+Chopin+index+finger+as+pivot+point&source=bl&ots=tA6_A0nRfw&sig=uJmqXRTX9GiPZh8siw0L1ncQzfE&hl=ru&sa=X&ei=TelJVNzlGIrnygOCzYDACA&ved=0CCYQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=piano%3A%20Chopin%20index%20finger%20as%20pivot%20point&f=false
No amount of how-to information is going to work if you have the wrong mindset, the wrong guiding philosophies. Avoid losers like the plague, and gather with and learn from winners only.

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #108 on: October 24, 2014, 06:05:21 AM
Quote from: dima_76557link=topic=56440.msg609208#msg609208 date=1414130516
Perhaps, but I must say that my patience with you is gradually wearing out:
Well bully for you!  Your patronizing attitude doesn't exactly endear you either.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #109 on: October 24, 2014, 06:06:40 AM
Well bully for you!  Your patronizing attitude doesn't exactly endear you either.

Let's keep things on topic. I gave you what you were asking for. What do you say to that?

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #110 on: October 24, 2014, 06:43:09 AM
'everything is a matter of good fingering.  Hummel was the most knowledgeable on this subject.' also from The Method.  Quite what's 'pivotal' about 1-3; 1-3; is quite beyond me anyhow.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #111 on: October 24, 2014, 06:49:54 AM
'everything is a matter of good fingering.  Hummel was the most knowledgeable on this subject.' also from The Method.  Quite what's 'pivotal' about 1-3; 1-3; is quite beyond me anyhow.

Since Chopin is dead and all, we can't ask him, but if you analyze the "standard" fingering in this cadenza, then you will see that nobody has to stretch there, go into weird contortions of any kind, or change the fingering to something else because:

in the first group, 2 is the pivot and
in the second group, 3 is the pivot

and the pattern continues like that until the cadenza dies out.

So, although it looks like you are using the same units (1-3), their function is essentially different. Besides, in the second 1-3, you have the benefit of the hand that actually initiates the group according to Chopin's instructions - the slurs, that do not indicate "physical legato" but musical and technical groupings.

P.S.: Your "fourth finger" quote is evidence that Chopin thought that it COULDN'T be changed with any practice at all, just like the form of his nose. It's a very sarcastic remark, aimed at proponents of the "traditional" schools of his time with their crazy mechanical exercises to make that finger stronger.

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #112 on: October 24, 2014, 08:04:20 AM
Can you guys have a piano battle

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #113 on: October 24, 2014, 04:45:23 PM
Quote from: dima_76557link=topic=56440.msg609213#msg609213 date=1414133394

P.S.: Your "fourth finger" quote is evidence that Chopin thought that it COULDN'T be changed with any practice at all, just like the form of his nose. It's a very sarcastic remark, aimed at proponents of the "traditional" schools of his time with their crazy mechanical exercises to make that finger stronger.
NO!  He's dying!  Read the letter.

https://archive.org/stream/selectedcorrespo002644mbp/selectedcorrespo002644mbp_djvu.txt
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #114 on: October 24, 2014, 05:03:20 PM
NO!  He's dying!  Read the letter.

How long are you going to play this "everybody is stupid but me" game, Hardy?
P.S.: Wish you good luck with the cadenza. Over and out.

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #115 on: October 24, 2014, 05:46:44 PM
Quote from: dima_76557link=topic=56440.msg609245#msg609245 date=1414170200
How long are you going to play this "everybody is stupid but me" game, Hardy?
So not only a master of exegesis, a mind reader too?
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert