Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Bach Musette in D Major  (Read 7554 times)

Offline musicbeginner

Bach Musette in D Major
on: October 21, 2014, 06:35:00 AM
Hello,

Yes, I am back with another question, but a very short one. I am having trouble finding the form of this piece.

I am thinking it is Binary form?

0-0.13 is A
0.13-0.21 is A
0.21-0.34 is B
0.34-42 is A
0.42-0.55 is B
0.55-end is A

I'm sorry to ask another question. It's just that I am taking an intro to music class and I am very confused. I really like my teacher, but I'm just horrible with listening to music and trying to figure out certain things. Plus, I don't want to bug my teacher constantly. Music theory is like math to me...I just don't understand it. I'm a visual learner, so listening to anything can be hard for me to concentrate on.  >:( >:(

Thanks for any clarifications anyone can give!

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bach Musette in D Major
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 06:50:34 AM
https://imslp.org/wiki/File:PMLP301429-JS_Bach_BWV_Anh_126.pdf

It's ternary and missing its da capo al fine.  Obviously by a kid - probably one of his sons.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline musicbeginner

Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 04:32:56 PM
Can you explain how it is ternary form? The only thing I know about Ternary is that it is in a lot of pop songs, ABA...but I don't see how that form fits this song!

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 04:35:36 PM
Once you get to the end you go back and repeat the the first section to finish.  That's why the first section ends in DM.  If it were binary it would end in AM.  It's just missing the Da Capo instructions.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline musicbeginner

Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 05:48:42 PM
So, it is just a standard ABA form?

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 06:17:20 PM
So, it is just a standard ABA form?
If only life were that simple.  If you look at the Musette in Bach's English Suite no 3 (Gavotte II) you see it should be followed by a replay of Gavotte I.  That's ABA in the sense of Gavotte I - Gavotte II - Gavotte I which is probably a standard practice.  Whoever asked you to look at Musette in D was giving you something over you head (and probably over theirs). 
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline nystul

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 03:03:44 PM
Since you have correctly identified the sections, identifying ternary vs. binary should be easy since you know the ternary piece ends with the A section.  Whereas binary is basically always AABB.  Unfornately when you get into examples of "rounded binary" the distinction is less clear.

There was a period in time when you might expect a pop song to go: verse, verse, bridge, verse (AABA).  Looks like ternary form.  Only thing is, these examples of pop songs are typically 50+ years old.  Since the chorus became a big part of pop music, I don't think it neatly fits the idea of ternary form very often.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert