Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Concentration and Boredom during Practice?  (Read 1615 times)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Concentration and Boredom during Practice?
on: October 22, 2014, 04:15:07 PM
Hello!

Lately I am thinking a bit more about concentration and boredom during practice, and I have the theory that concentration cancels boredom out.  That it's actually impossible to be bored if one is fully concentrated on an activity, even if that activity is not something a person normally thinks of as a fun way to pass time.

That leads to my second part, concentration.  Sometimes concentration doesn't come easily.  Then, I put these two parts in the context of doing something that most people think of as mundane, like doing scales.  

I'd like to dig a bit and see if, firstly, you have thoughts on my first paragraph about concentration canceling out boredom, and that in context of exercises and scales.  My guess is that many people's concentration on scales goes something like this "Ok, now it's time to concentrate on scales" and then there's instant boredom.  Yes?  Or, does the concentration go deeper, into specific ideas during every note of a scale, and you still find you are bored?

But, also continuing on with concentration, sometimes it's easy to feel as though you are just playing through a piece and then you "wake up" and realize you weren't really paying attention to what you were doing/playing.  Is it because, once you learn the notes and move around them, you don't necessarily feel as though there is anything more to give full attention to - or do you actually start out with full attention on something specific and then fall out of that on accident?
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Re: Concentration and Boredom during Practice?
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 06:51:37 PM
I can devote 20-30 minutes on technique without being bored to tears, but when you play a lot of scales, it does wear on you.  What I had been doing, for a time, was choosing 2-3 scales to play.  I don't think it's necessary to go through all of the scales everyday.  If I perceive that their importance warrants more time, then I will increase the time.

My concentration seems to be upheld by my discipline.  While pure technique is mundane, difficult areas in a piece can be taxing and require a lot of willpower.  But maybe once our concentration increases, to a luxurious plane of focus and flow, then the garb of discipline may not be needed, but for now I find the dispensing of that garb can interrupt the flow.  Being alone in such a place with such an intent and without that supporting gravity is not a great place to be. . .

Discipline and concentration, if not the same, may be inseparably linked.  Heightened concentration may be a great port of interchange to transform ours into a truly real experience at the piano, and anything else we do.  A better connection than we previously enjoyed.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 01:23:49 PM
"Think ten times, play once", as the famous quote from Liszt goes ...

That is, before you touch the keys - give a second thought (or a 10th, then) on WHY you are going to do this. A "so, scale practice time, let's get over with it" attitude will most likely make you bored. You are not at the dentist, wanting to have a tooth pulled out as quickly as possible to make tha pain short. You have a reason for playing these scales, right? Now, what is that reason?

Boredom is not a sign of "weak character", IMO. On the contrary, it is a rather sound signal from the wiser part of you - what are you doing, really? Is this necessary, or am I doing this to show some stamina, to purify my soul from my latest sins, or what? 

If I know exactly why I want to work with a certain scale, I am not bored. On the contrary, I feel eager to work with it. I work to make it even, or to get another rythm I've decided upon, to listen on how the individual keystrokes really sound, and to feel how my fingers and muscles work. Or whatever. I don't play scales in these days if I cannot come up with a good reason to do it. If I work with a certain piece in a certain key, I will probably work a bit with that corresponding scale, and the corresponding chord progressions. That will help me to play the piece with more confidence and it is also helpful for memorizing, for example.

Concentration also is a lot more easy if you know exactly what you goal is for the upcoming minute. I also have a hard time concentrating if I'm about to play a piece which is +200 bars, and that is about all I know about my goal ... but if I decided that I will work with, let's say, bar 50-53, and figure out how to solve that whateverissue I have there, I will not be bored.

Boredom can also be a signal that you are tired. OK, quit practicing and make a summary of what you have achieved the last 15 minutes. Then welcome back when you feel like it again - when you have had your coffee, your workout, your sleep or your vacation.

Offline carl_h

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 02:02:05 PM
Bronnestam summed it up nicely in my opinion.
Both why boredom arises before/during practice, the "let's get this over with" attitude and how to avoid boredom: set clear goals (working on this small term goal will help me achieve my middle/long term goals.

Offline sunlightsonata

Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 12:26:53 AM
There has been research done on this subject. I just read a book about it, it is fairly well summarized in Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. The premise of the book is about achieving happiness, but don't let the title fool you, there are a lot of scientifically grounded facts supporting his statements. Just look up a summary of the book and you'll get an idea. I doubt you want to read 400 pages for one topic.

Edit: Essentially, your theory is true.

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 09:19:37 PM
"Think ten times, play once", as the famous quote from Liszt goes ...

Love that quote... I always understood it to mean something along the lines of "practice in your mind before touching the keys"     or more simply--to understand and study what you are doing away from the piano.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert