Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Complete Beginner question: What keyboard.  (Read 1739 times)

Offline otakucko

Complete Beginner question: What keyboard.
on: October 25, 2014, 07:31:28 AM
I started learning piano 3 weeks ago on a rly rly old Armonpiano

But its showing its age, no touch sensitivity,some keys/notes doesnt always work. So im planning on buying a new one but before i buy it i wanted to ask some pros about they opinion.I heard that its optimal if your keyboard has the full 88 keys and touchsenivity so i searched a low budget one and found the "M-audio Keystation 88" and the "Alesis Q 88" are they good for a beginner? Or you guys know other keyboards better suited for a beginner.

(sorry about my grammar,english is not my native language.)

Offline nystul

• PS Silver Member
Re: Complete Beginner question: What keyboard.
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 02:45:03 PM
The models you listed are MIDI keyboard controllers.  They don't have instrument sounds on the unit itself.  They only work if you run them through some kind of sound module.  That usually means hooking it up to a computer and running some kind of music production software on the computer.

If hooking the keyboard to your computer was your plan all along, then OK.  Otherwise, these models are probably a bad idea for learning piano.  The keys themselves would be a huge upgrade over your current instrument, but it is of no use unless you can hear some kind of music when you play.  These are more suited to someone who needs to use computer production software because they are producing dubstep or something.

Offline otakucko

Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 04:01:03 PM
Yeah i know i need to plug it in my pc, that wouldnt be a problem. I just wanted to know which one is better. Anyway i wanted a cheap keyboard but i figured that if i inport one with amazon i can buy a better one. seriously... in hungary they cost like 60-70% more i swear. Anyway i "narrowed" it down to 3 real keyboards

Yamaha Piaggero NP11 Keyboard  w/ Stand, Pedal & Headphones $199.99 (never had a pedal before :o)

Yamaha PSR-E343 Premium Portable Keyboard Package with Headphones, Power Supply, and Stand $189.95

Casio CTK4400 61-Key Keyboard  with Headphones, Stand, Power Supply, 6-Foot USB $180

Offline 1piano4joe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 05:38:41 PM
Hi otakucko,

Are you aware the 3 (real?) keyboards that you narrowed your search down to all have only 61 keys?

I wouldn't even consider anything less than the Casio CDP230R digital piano bundle. I would recommend you read the review at AZPianoNews.com

No, I don't work for Casio.

It has 88 weighted keys, a pedal and a stand/cabinet.

This is hands down the most bang for your buck!

And Welcome to Pianostreet, Joe.

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 08:05:08 PM
The M-Audio Key Station 88 has 88 keys as it's name implies. I've played on one, the keys are quite decent actually considering it's a midi controller.
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert