Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Piano teaching site - Teaching opportunity  (Read 2580 times)

Offline zarahustra67

Piano teaching site - Teaching opportunity
on: October 28, 2014, 07:37:00 AM
Hey!

Are you a piano player looking for an extra gig you can do from home ?

My name is Henrik and I’m looking for an experienced piano player/teacher who’s interested in an extra gig. I’m currently in the process of setting up an online piano training site, where people easily can learn popular piano songs from instruction videos á la Guitar hero/Synthesia.

Preferably you have a couple of years experience teaching.

Your job will be to record the process of learning a new song, just as you would teaching a student sitting beside you. You’ll need your own camera to record it all.

Sounds cool? Shoot me a message and we'll talk more :)

/Henrik H

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano teaching site - Teaching opportunity
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 12:37:48 PM
My name is Henrik and I’m looking for an experienced piano player/teacher who’s interested in an extra gig. I’m currently in the process of setting up an online piano training site, where people easily can learn popular piano songs from instruction videos á la Guitar hero/Synthesia.

OOOOOOH... I'm going to walk away and let the internet take care of this. Cheap Synthesia style videos showing people how to play pop songs...

[whistles nonchalantly]

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano teaching site - Teaching opportunity
Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 03:57:30 PM
I don't know what a "synathesia video" is, but I increasingly think instruction videos are *potentially* helpful, both to learners and teachers alike.  In fact, I have a goal to make some myself, starting over this year ... but, I have a lot of goals for over the year (read:  more goals than I immediately know what to do with) :P.  

I have not been an instruction video fiend over the years, but I have watched several performance videos of other people, and several instruction videos out of curiosity.  I have learned something from some angle, or several things, from every one of them - even the ones where I completely do not find myself feeling in-line with the bottom line of the teaching.  

It is not beyond my imagination to potentially find a teacher by way of stumbling across an instruction video that I could not ignore.  Though it was not through instruction videos precisely, in some ways that is very similar to how I found two individuals who I ended up working with, one of whom I ended up studying with in person.  In that respect, from a teacher's point of view, instruction videos can serve as advertisement at the cost of sharing useful information.  Along those lines, I have a therapist friend who told me that some therapists are starting to post treatments (for free) online, for similar reasons.
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert