Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin sonata 2 mov 1 (urgent)  (Read 1175 times)

Offline koalalove

Chopin sonata 2 mov 1 (urgent)
on: November 02, 2014, 09:13:24 PM
So, I'm applying to undergrad schools (not conservatories) this week, and I've been debating sending in a recording as a supplement to my applications. This is the only one I have available currently, and I'm quite upset that I couldn't find the opportunity to record something else. I will send it in as a audio file only.

This is really not my best performance of this piece. However, would it be acceptable to send this to colleges? Or should I just pass? I would rather send nothing than send a mediocre recording. Please be brutally honest. Thank you in advance!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8Dz66BFdojmNjN4dE5XOWxFaTA/edit?usp=docslist_api

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin sonata 2 mov 1 (urgent)
Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 02:51:59 AM
Well, to be brutally honest, it's not great.

It's not bad either... mediocre is a pretty good for it, actually.

What kind of uni program are you applying to?

It's a pretty tough piece, and depending on what standard it is being compared to, some people would even say it's quite good.

Offline koalalove

Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 03:04:15 AM
Not applying to music programs, just undergrad schools. I'm considering sending this one to Penn because I applied early and I don't have time to record something else.

Thanks for your honesty, and I quite agree with you. I think I rushed way too bad towards the end after climax, and I missed pedals here and there. Not sure how forgiving Penn's music dept will be about that. Any other opinions?

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 07:58:26 AM
@ koalalove

If it's not at requirement to send an audition file, you might be better off sending nothing at all. It's not that it's really bad, but it does not represent you at your best and that may work against you during the application procedure.
No amount of how-to information is going to work if you have the wrong mindset, the wrong guiding philosophies. Avoid losers like the plague, and gather with and learn from winners only.

Offline koalalove

Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 04:38:19 PM
I agree. Not sure if this question has any purpose, but if this were an accurate representation of me, should I submit it then? Would it be "competitive" among other Penn applicant recordings or no?

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 05:53:59 PM
I agree. Not sure if this question has any purpose, but if this were an accurate representation of me, should I submit it then? Would it be "competitive" among other Penn applicant recordings or no?

That's hard to tell from here. A lot depends on the policies of the School you want to enter. How much professionalism do they expect, for example? If their expectations in this respect are high and the other applicants choose repertoire they can really handle and display excellent quality in most respects, then the odds are against you. On the other hand, you may be lucky.

P.S.: If you plan on taking such an important step in your life, you should do EVERYTHING not to become a victim of the situation. Putting all your money on one horse (in this case that one recording you are not even satisfied with yourself) is not the best strategy to get what you want in life. Anyway, wish you all the luck in the world. :)
No amount of how-to information is going to work if you have the wrong mindset, the wrong guiding philosophies. Avoid losers like the plague, and gather with and learn from winners only.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert