Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Looking For Composers - Baplo Music Publishing  (Read 1434 times)

Offline baplomusic

Looking For Composers - Baplo Music Publishing
on: November 05, 2014, 04:37:38 PM
Are you a composer or arranger and would you like to publish and sell your music online? Do you want to keep the rights for your works? BAPLO Music Publishing and Digital Sheet Music Publications is an initiative of a young Dutch musician and entrepeneur. With this new publishing platform we'll give new composers and arrangers a place to sell their works online, all over the world!

We are pursuing to be a platform with original works and arrangements of classical pieces. Published music will be available as .PDF format.

For more information: https://www.baplomusic.com

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Re: Looking For Composers - Baplo Music Publishing
Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 09:24:16 PM
Will you publish handwritten material? Or only music that is composed using notation software?

Offline flashyfingers

Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 04:09:34 AM
Yes, how would you like the music to be presented?
I'm hungry

Offline baplomusic

Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 01:37:45 PM
We only publish compositions using notation software. Handwritten materials can be digitised by us. ;)

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 03:36:34 PM
We only publish compositions using notation software.

In my opinion, that is a shame!  I take great pains to make beautiful handwritten scores, and have never received complaints regarding their legibility.

If you don't mind my asking, who are the flagship composers at BAPLO, and how successful has the business model proved so far? How does the person in charge (I assume that is you?) assess whether or not a composer has enough credibility to deserve a place on your roster?

Thank you for addressing my queries!

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 07:56:23 PM
I think Alexander Plinkovsky will be interested in this.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 08:27:14 PM
I think Alexander Plinkovsky will be interested in this.

Thal

The question is, would this be interested in Alexander Plinkovsky?  ;)

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 10:29:21 PM
In my opinion, that is a shame!  I take great pains to make beautiful handwritten scores, and have never received complaints regarding their legibility.

I have from time to time acquired mss scores, and while I have never complained about their legibility to the composer they are never in the same league as a print version and are a considerable minus in any purchase decision.

I would suggest that anyone wanting to get their compositions out onto the market would be best advised to present them in as user friendly a form as possible.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 11:33:14 PM
I have from time to time acquired mss scores, and while I have never complained about their legibility to the composer they are never in the same league as a print version and are a considerable minus in any purchase decision.

I would suggest that anyone wanting to get their compositions out onto the market would be best advised to present them in as user friendly a form as possible.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose! If I could buy high-quality facsimiles of the great composer's works in their own hand for the same price as a Schirmer edition, I would do so virtually every single time. Of course, some composers were very neat, and some were much less so. I use a wonderful Barenreiter edition of the Bach cello suites which contains each of the original sources as well as the first editions and it is a fantastic thing to have!

Offline flashyfingers

Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 02:40:11 AM
It's not just the printing vs handwriting. Some works are considerably edited and revised. Sometimes composers put accidentals in one place and then forget to put them in others. For example, Bach's works were organized and made presentable by Hans Bischoff. Beethoven had a copyist…It's a part of creating completed, published compositions being available and approachable to professional musicians and other music professionals such as theorists and composers. That being said, a composer is not always an editor. A composer is not really a publisher…But there are certain things that are expected from good composers, but not everything.

From what I have read about the relationship between Chopin and those who partnered in the publishing of his work, there was always expected amount of communication between the composer and publisher, and so on.

Example Chopin's works are sent to an editor. Editor does some work, sends it to Chopin. Chopin approves or disproves. Sends back to editor. Then sent to publisher, who publishes in wrong order and Chopin gets mad.

Just a rant. :)
I'm hungry
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert