Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Going to a concert alone?  (Read 3570 times)

Offline holly88

Going to a concert alone?
on: November 07, 2014, 08:15:10 AM
How does it feel to go for a concert alone when none of your friends can make it ? It's also in another city (1.5hours flight) on a weekday. So basically I will have to leave work a bit early to catch a flight and make it to the 8pm concert and fly back very early the next morning to avoid missing work.
Is it crazy?
Btw it's Rachmaninoff concerto by one of my fav pianist.

Offline wwalrus

• PS Silver Member
Re: Going to a concert alone?
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 04:31:32 PM
Funny, I did almost the same thing a year ago (Dennis Matsuev playing rach 3 with Valery Gergiev at carnegie hall). You're going to be aware of the people who surround you a lot more, and you're not gonna talk much, obviously, during the intermission. Honestly, I don't think the experience is that different when you don't have someone to go with you.

Offline holly88

Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 08:07:27 PM
Funny, I did almost the same thing a year ago (Dennis Matsuev playing rach 3 with Valery Gergiev at carnegie hall). You're going to be aware of the people who surround you a lot more, and you're not gonna talk much, obviously, during the intermission. Honestly, I don't think the experience is that different when you don't have someone to go with you.

OMG!  The concert I'm going is ... Denis Matsuev playing rach 2 with Valery Gergiev & London symphony orchestra at Sydney opera house. I love his rach 3!

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 08:28:38 PM
First time I went to a concert all alone was during my university years. I felt rather strange, but I really wanted to go ... a nice man sat next to me, he turned out to have the same exam I was working on, even though he had done it 10 years earlier. We had a very nice conversation about this during the intermission. The concert was wonderful, by the way.

Later on, I have learned that this happens almost every time I go to a concert; I just happen to sit next to a nice person, we talk - sometimes much, sometimes little, but it is nearly always an interesting experience.
During the last years I sometimes know the artist performing and that gives me 2 advantages: you have a lot of interesting things to discuss with the audience ... (I don't mean personal gossip, of course) and afterwards you go and talk to the artist and meet a friend who is even more interested in the concert than you are ...
If you don't know the artist performing? Well, coming to the concert alone is a big advantage if you like to meet him/her. A crowd of hysterical fans don't stand a chance, a single person easily sneaks in backstage if there is something called backstage, especially if you don't behave like an idiot.

I often find it easier to listen and to meditate over the music if I'm alone. The worst company you can have at a concert is a friend who is not as fond of the music as you are, and spends his time sighing over the whole event, looking at his watch, or making dry remarks about the performance, and at the first opportunity hisses "shall we go?"
 ::)

Such a person can ruin the experience totally. When I'm alone, I do whatever I want, stay as long as I want (and sneak backstage if I want too, yeah!) and enjoy the performance as much as I want. Or leave, if I want.

Offline 1piano4joe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 09:04:21 PM
Hi holly88,

How does it feel to go for a concert alone when none of your friends can make it ? It's also in another city (1.5hours flight) on a weekday.

I go to movies alone, restaurants, the mall, the gym, vacation and for long walks all alone. Yes, I go to concerts, broadway shows and just about any other event/thing even parties alone if I want to. I DO NOT let lack of company dictate what I can do or where I can go.

On a long drive, I use my hands free cell phone so I have someone to talk to. I almost always find someone, somewhere, someplace to talk to. People on the bus, in the Taxi, in the toll booths, on the elevator and even the bathroom. I get lonely, what can I say?

So, you ask how does it feel? Well, sometimes I feel guilty when I'm having a blast and I know one of my friends is missing out. I feel AMBIVALENT both happy and sad! Yet, at times I forget I'm alone. One plus is that I come and go as I please meaning I eat what, when and where I want. I call it a night when I want or not and I can stay put as long as I want even all night.

All this and more, Joe.

P.S. Welcome to Pianostreet!

P.P.S. No, it's definitely NOT crazy! It's crazy to not go.

Offline holly88

Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 09:22:02 PM
First time I went to a concert all alone was during my university years. I felt rather strange, but I really wanted to go ... a nice man sat next to me, he turned out to have the same exam I was working on, even though he had done it 10 years earlier. We had a very nice conversation about this during the intermission. The concert was wonderful, by the way.

Later on, I have learned that this happens almost every time I go to a concert; I just happen to sit next to a nice person, we talk - sometimes much, sometimes little, but it is nearly always an interesting experience.
During the last years I sometimes know the artist performing and that gives me 2 advantages: you have a lot of interesting things to discuss with the audience ... (I don't mean personal gossip, of course) and afterwards you go and talk to the artist and meet a friend who is even more interested in the concert than you are ...
If you don't know the artist performing? Well, coming to the concert alone is a big advantage if you like to meet him/her. A crowd of hysterical fans don't stand a chance, a single person easily sneaks in backstage if there is something called backstage, especially if you don't behave like an idiot.

I often find it easier to listen and to meditate over the music if I'm alone. The worst company you can have at a concert is a friend who is not as fond of the music as you are, and spends his time sighing over the whole event, looking at his watch, or making dry remarks about the performance, and at the first opportunity hisses "shall we go?"
 ::)

Such a person can ruin the experience totally. When I'm alone, I do whatever I want, stay as long as I want (and sneak backstage if I want too, yeah!) and enjoy the performance as much as I want. Or leave, if I want.
Thanks for sharing your experience. You are right Everyone at the same concert already has a common bond. I really wasn't sure about going by myself at first. All my friends have plans, but I can not pass up seeing them live!! 
Wow, I'd love to meet and have a chat with the pianist if I can...

Offline holly88

Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 09:29:17 PM
Hi holly88,

I go to movies alone, restaurants, the mall, the gym, vacation and for long walks all alone. Yes, I go to concerts, broadway shows and just about any other event/thing even parties alone if I want to. I DO NOT let lack of company dictate what I can do or where I can go.

On a long drive, I use my hands free cell phone so I have someone to talk to. I almost always find someone, somewhere, someplace to talk to. People on the bus, in the Taxi, in the toll booths, on the elevator and even the bathroom. I get lonely, what can I say?

So, you ask how does it feel? Well, sometimes I feel guilty when I'm having a blast and I know one of my friends is missing out. I feel AMBIVALENT both happy and sad! Yet, at times I forget I'm alone. One plus is that I come and go as I please meaning I eat what, when and where I want. I call it a night when I want or not and I can stay put as long as I want even all night.

All this and more, Joe.

P.S. Welcome to Pianostreet!

P.P.S. No, it's definitely NOT crazy! It's crazy to not go.
Thanks so much for your reply! You are so right I can get to dictate how the evening goes ;-) I definitely won't be can’t late to the concert. The whole experience will be what I want to make it. Gosh I can't wait! !

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 12:14:30 PM
I started doing this frequently in my undergrad years.  There was a $10 for youth program in place.  These weren't nosebleed seats either, they were the $50-$90 orchestral or mezzanine seats.  You didn't get to pick your seat, but what ever they gave you was generally a great place to sit.  Really, for that price why wouldn't you go frequently.

Being alone felt strange at first, but I quickly realized that my senses could be much more attuned to the music and what was going on.  No distractions, no person next to you doodling on their phone, no person that randomly wants to engage in academic debate during the middle of a piece, no waiting for people to arrive because they are stuck in traffic.  I could stay for the reception, eat what I want, leave when I want, chat with the artist as long as I want.  Was also able to meet some wonderful people along the way.

In other words, go for it.  You may even enjoy it more than you think.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline holly88

Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 01:10:36 PM
I started doing this frequently in my undergrad years.  There was a $10 for youth program in place.  These weren't nosebleed seats either, they were the $50-$90 orchestral or mezzanine seats.  You didn't get to pick your seat, but what ever they gave you was generally a great place to sit.  Really, for that price why wouldn't you go frequently.

Being alone felt strange at first, but I quickly realized that my senses could be much more attuned to the music and what was going on.  No distractions, no person next to you doodling on their phone, no person that randomly wants to engage in academic debate during the middle of a piece, no waiting for people to arrive because they are stuck in traffic.  I could stay for the reception, eat what I want, leave when I want, chat with the artist as long as I want.  Was also able to meet some wonderful people along the way.

In other words, go for it.  You may even enjoy it more than you think.

;D ;D ;D sounds really good! Are there always opportunities to meet the artists at all concerts?

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 01:26:59 PM
Feels normal.  That's how I go to concerts.  I think you get better pick of the seats and can leave faster since it's just you.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline coda_colossale

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 01:44:24 PM
Ahaha, I did the same thing too for Lugansky's Rach 3. I always go by myself though.

Offline jlskiles

Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 03:01:12 PM
It is absolutely worth it. Don't miss out on a Rachmaninoff concerto because your friends aren't going.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 03:17:53 PM
;D ;D ;D sounds really good! Are there always opportunities to meet the artists at all concerts?

This particular venue I spoke about frequently makes opportunities to meet the artists.  Things like interviewer-artist chats during intermission, as well as pre and post concert receptions.  Artists and symphony musicians often roam the reception floor, so there is plenty of opportunity to strike up conversation. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline holly88

Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 08:48:05 PM
Feels normal.  That's how I go to concerts.  I think you get better pick of the seats and can leave faster since it's just you.
I want to hanging around and meet the artists after the concert :P

Offline holly88

Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 08:49:44 PM
Ahaha, I did the same thing too for Lugansky's Rach 3. I always go by myself though.
So many rachmaninoff fans...I might meet someone from pianostreet :P

Offline holly88

Reply #15 on: November 08, 2014, 08:51:03 PM
It is absolutely worth it. Don't miss out on a Rachmaninoff concerto because your friends aren't going.
For sure. It's their loss!!! ;)

Offline holly88

Reply #16 on: November 08, 2014, 08:54:05 PM
This particular venue I spoke about frequently makes opportunities to meet the artists.  Things like interviewer-artist chats during intermission, as well as pre and post concert receptions.  Artists and symphony musicians often roam the reception floor, so there is plenty of opportunity to strike up conversation. 

I'm going to call them on Monday to check if they have pre and post concert receptions. I have a feeling that I will be so nervous and unable to think straight and speak… I don;t even know what to say. ::) :P

Offline transparently

Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 05:44:07 AM
It doesn't feel bad. I usually go alone because most of my friends/family don't enjoy classical music very much.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert