Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Grade 8 complete - now what?  (Read 2081 times)

Offline mcainpruis

Grade 8 complete - now what?
on: November 11, 2014, 01:32:27 PM
Okay, so this year I finished my AMEB Grade 8 (started classical but completed piano for leisure because of time restraints on year 12 - and yes, I had to abandon the pieces I'd been doing!). And it was within about 6-8 months of completing my grade 6 classical piano. I never received fantastic marks unfortunately because I only began playing about 4 years ago (a year of it being confusion on the basics) and skipped levels heavily, losing my technique a little - and sight reading/aural. But the performance side of things clicked to the point that I learnt Liszt Liebstraume No. 3 towards the end of my second year of piano. My technical ability is rather lacking, but I am quite capable with technique within a piece.

Now that it's done, I'm looking to move on to the next step and I've constantly been blocked from progressing. Other pieces I've done are Chopin's Military Polonaise (although I play it over a minute faster than most recording - oops) and Mozart's Fantasy in C minor K396. I went to attempt Chopin's 'Ocean' Etude in C minor and was too intimidated by it to really begin. The same with Chopin's Etude in A minor 'Winter Wind' and Liszt's Etude 'Chasse-Neige'. I normally can learn a grade 8 piece within 1-2 weeks due to good muscle memory, so I'm not used to progress not occurring quickly. I've desperately wanted to learn and am considering attempting Liszt's Etude D'execution transcendante No. 4  - Mazeppa, but I'm threatened by the scale runs at the beginning.

What's a good step to take from where I am? I want to improve my abilities as a pianist, but I've hit a wall and I'm confused what to learn or to do in order to reach that next level of capability.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Grade 8 complete - now what?
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 02:00:05 PM
Hi and welcome to Pianostreet!

Strength and weaknesses of each person vary from individual to individual.  You got to where you are because you excel at certain aspects of playing, but as you pointed out, are lacking in other aspects.  IMO, you need to define where you want to take piano (you've already begun to to that by listing potential repertoire you are interested in).  From there you need to work on building up your weakness.  It is far more fun to play stuff you are good at, but it won't help you improve the stuff you aren't good at.  

As an example, you identified scale runs as an item.  Why not isolate the study of scale runs so you can improve them.  You don't need to stick to technique books and scales.  Just excerpt scales out of your favourite pieces and make exercises for them.  

Discuss your goals with your teacher, and come up with plans to tackle those areas of weakness in your playing.  

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert