Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Help with Bortkiewicz/ RH fourths  (Read 874 times)

Offline muntjack

• PS Silver Member
Help with Bortkiewicz/ RH fourths
on: November 17, 2014, 06:06:43 AM
Wondering if I might ask a little advice.  I'm currently working on Bortiewicz's Consolation in D flat and I'm having trouble with a section that has a pattern of (mostly) fourths that descends in the RH.  It's a similar pattern to the infamous "Tausig exercise" (think 1-3, 2-4, 3-5) and I am having a very difficult time striking the notes evenly.  one key seems to inevitably sound before the other, which is a problem i don't seem to have with smaller intervals (or octaves). 

So my question.  Does anyone know of some good exercises other than the potentially harmful Tausig that might help me to strike these intervals at the same time?  I really thought I was beyond this and I almost have the piece complete but I can't have the most beautiful section sounding like falling marbles!