Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Stevenson - Peter Grimes Fantasy  (Read 1335 times)

Offline cbreemer

• PS Silver Member
Stevenson - Peter Grimes Fantasy
on: November 18, 2014, 07:31:51 AM
The culmination of a project that has occupied me for the last year, last sunday I recorded Ronald Stevenson's fantasy on themes from Benjamin Britten's opera Peter Grimes. This was recorded in an informal concert venue on a real concert grand. Some cut and paste from alternative tracks was needed alas. Comments welcome.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Re: Stevenson - Peter Grimes Fantasy
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 08:05:43 PM
Nice job!

Although I never played this piece, I've enjoyed it immensely ever since I first heard it, played by an old teacher of mine who was a great pianist. A good friend of mine also played it frequently, and my partner studied it for a while without performing it.

I do not have the score, but my instinct tells me that you could find a bit more space in general throughout the piece. You interpretation had a quality of 'crowdedness' (almost panicky) that I thought lessened the drama. Smooth, calm, confident delivery, and more consideration of pacing is about all I can suggest.

For example, more time after the opening chords before the fugetta, and more time near the end before the plucked-string ghost arrives.

Very nice playing! I enjoyed it.

Offline cbreemer

• PS Silver Member
Re: Stevenson - Peter Grimes Fantasy
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 08:16:58 PM
Thank you ! I mostly agree about the playing being too hectic in places. Especially in the opening bars, and, indeed, in the calm coda. It was getting late in the day and I was getting rather frustrated and desperate to produce a passable recording. I don't think calm and smooth
particularly characterize this stormy piece, a certain frenzy seems appropriate, but I went too far.
I think I may have to redo this piece without the added hassle of shooting video (over which I'm still sweating, trying to sync the video with the edited audio and being driven crazy by the quirks and bugs in Windows Movie Maker).

It's a great piece though isn't it ! An ideal combination, Britten's unsettling opera and Stevenson's
wild and whacky pianism.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert