Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Pianists: Normal vs. Special needs  (Read 1642 times)

Offline flashyfingers

Pianists: Normal vs. Special needs
on: November 18, 2014, 10:36:02 PM
I have posted before about pianists with ADHD, but I would like to find out more about pianists and students with any kind of special problems.

So sorry if the term "special needs" is a little wrong, but I am talking about people with psychological disorders or learning disorders of different sorts. (Feel free to make distinctions as you see fit!)

My question is, would a normal person with high IQ and no (strong) psychological handicap be a better fit for the piano performance career, naturally excelling in their field because they do not have a learning disability nor do they struggle socially…?

Would these "normal" folks-with no extreme highs and lows, no depression or anxiety-have a better chance of growing evenly and linearly into their career? (As opposed to someone who is unstable most days/days are mostly black or white, so any positive development is usually sporadic.)

What if a person has a condition that is not manageable, and gets out of control on stage?

I do fine in all kinds of situations except tests, performance, high stress situations, lessons, any social situations…It's really disturbing to just watch myself from two different points of view during these situations. I usually break down and don't leave the house for a day, or a week.

Most importantly, I can't play in front of people. It's been like this for as long as I can remember. My anxiety is crippling and way out of control.  
(My prof knows I have…stuff.)

Does anyone here have insight into these kinds of personalities some musicians may possess? Any famous, successful pianists with learning or psychological disorders?

Do you think someone more mentally healthy would have an advantage over someone who isn't, in piano performance?

Thank you all.
I'm hungry

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: Pianists: Normal vs. Special needs
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 12:48:32 AM
I could see it going either way.  To really be successful, that person would have not be ordinary though I would think. 

I could see being a little off being an advantage for dealing with stress or for being creative or learning pieces quickly.

Depends how the brain is wired up too.  I wouldn't be surprised if being wired up to excel at one thing means you're not wired up for another.  High IQ?  (whatever that means)  Great, but maybe that's at the expense of something else, like music.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 01:42:36 AM
Do you think someone more mentally healthy would have an advantage over someone who isn't, in piano performance?

I think this is obvious, as in any other field of life.

BUT there's also the phenomen of people with disadvantages sometimes working much harder and achieving great things despite of their issues. You can become a lot stronger after you manage to solve your issues and that can be an advantage.

Sometimes having an odd personality might even be something that makes one stand out from the mass and can be marketed. But it's a fine line, because if one is too "difficult" to handle, one might not be invited to as many opportunities.

Offline flashyfingers

Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 03:28:37 AM
But it's a fine line, because if one is too "difficult" to handle, one might not be invited to as many opportunities.

Excellent point!

I'm hungry

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 05:48:44 AM
I have never met a completely "mentally healthy" concert pianist.

Offline gr8ape

Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 04:49:43 PM

from every interview i have seen with concert pianists they all seem to be on some good stuff

Offline Petter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 05:01:57 PM

I have never met a completely "mentally healthy" human being
"A gentleman is someone who knows how to play an accordion, but doesn't." - Al Cohn

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 05:25:36 PM

Most importantly, I can't play in front of people. It's been like this for as long as I can remember. My anxiety is crippling and way out of control.  
(My prof knows I have…stuff.)

Thank you all.

I don't know anything about your mental health.  I just know you have one specific handicap (that is probably part of a spectrum of related symptoms that differentiate you from a neurotypical). 

But that particular handicap is directly tied to your desired career. 

Can you do studio work?  Playing with other musicians in a recording studio as background music, never to get credit for your work but possibly paying fairly well?  That's not playing in front of people, but it is playing in front of a microphone.

Failing that, do beta blockers help?  There are some very successful performers with crippling performance anxiety who get by with a little chemical help.  I see this as no different from a diabetic performer needing insulin to get through a concert.   

If you cannot play in front of people, and can't find a way to get paid for playing behind people, you may have answered your own question. 
Tim

Offline flashyfingers

Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 03:35:04 AM
I don't know anything about your mental health.  I just know you have one specific handicap (that is probably part of a spectrum of related symptoms that differentiate you from a neurotypical). 

But that particular handicap is directly tied to your desired career. 

Can you do studio work?  Playing with other musicians in a recording studio as background music, never to get credit for your work but possibly paying fairly well?  That's not playing in front of people, but it is playing in front of a microphone.

Failing that, do beta blockers help?  There are some very successful performers with crippling performance anxiety who get by with a little chemical help.  I see this as no different from a diabetic performer needing insulin to get through a concert.   

If you cannot play in front of people, and can't find a way to get paid for playing behind people, you may have answered your own question. 

Those are excellent points. I have less to no worries when playing with someone. Or with a band. I am curious if participating in more band activities, playing in front of people with other people would help me!

We will see, after this semester. :)
I'm hungry
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert