Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Thoughts on BLOCKING Bach--invention 13 in A minor  (Read 3418 times)

Offline music32

• PS Silver Member
Thoughts on BLOCKING Bach--invention 13 in A minor
on: November 27, 2014, 05:54:54 PM
I use these techniques when learning and teaching this Invention
Blocking also is helpful as it applies to other repertoire as well.
https://arioso7.wordpress.com/2014/11/27/piano-technique-be-a-blockhead-when-learning-bach/
Grad NYC HS of Performing Arts
Oberlin Conservatory
New York University (Master of Arts)
https://www.youtube.com/arioso7
Blogging at https://arioso7.wordpress.com

Offline pts1

• PS Silver Member
Re: Thoughts on BLOCKING Bach--invention 13 in A minor
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 08:49:03 PM
I watched your videos, and on the positive side, I think it is good for the student or self-taught player to understand that this invention is really built on a series of articulated chords, going from one logical modulation to another with a few surprises along the way.

I also think the invention is so natural as to fitting the hand, that the student should be allowed to find what works for him/her and engage the intuitive portion of thinking to learn to work things out for themselves. By playing the chords of which the piece is constructed... light bulbs should go off in one's mind realizing the how and why of the articulated version being ultimately simple.

If a student  -- after a basic overview -- has particular technical/musical problems with certain passages (and this depends on the talent and work ethic of the individual) then you seemingly have covered every reasonably possible step by step tutorial and idea with which to aid the student.

However, I find this approach as a standard, very confusing and very complicating of something relatively simple. This applies to the singing as well, IMO, in that vocal singing could be used as an intervention when the student doesn't "sing" at the piano, not as an overall strategy.

Also, you seem to teach very excessive movement, which I don't understand. Practice should lead to more and more precise and refined movement, not large arching arm and hand movements.

Large attractive movement also can only work up to a point, and after that, with quicker tempos or more advanced repertoire this type of movement simply does not work.

I have to assume your performance of the invention is to demonstrate the methodology of your teaching in the prior video for students, not necessarily the way you'd perform it.

You DO seem like a very knowledgeable teacher, however.

Offline cwjalex

Re: Thoughts on BLOCKING Bach--invention 13 in A minor
Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 09:53:28 PM
interesting video. never would have thought to spend that much time on that section.  would it be simpler to just have the students be aware and look at the chords that are in this piece and have them naturally figure out the fingerings?  they seem pretty intuitive. i was also confused why you sometimes played the rhythm as dotted 8ths/16ths.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert