Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: (Maybe) The New Argerich  (Read 1288 times)

Offline martha96

(Maybe) The New Argerich
on: November 28, 2014, 07:30:09 AM
She was a colleague of mine, went to Rubinstein Competition last year (unfortunately, didn't qualify for the next round  :( ). Still, her techique and her tone resemble that of dear Martha Argerich. Look at those knuckles (if you looked at Martha's hands, her prominent knuckles are the first thing that strike you), at the way she uses her body to project that round tone and of course, the ease in her playing, which is just...wow. Of course, she is far from Martha's sensual, yet dionnisiac style of playing,  ::) but her technique, just as Argerich's, is impecable. Here is the video of her playing Liszt's Mephisto Waltz. The quality of the video is not the best, but you can still see her wonderful technique and hear her gorgeous sound. 
         P.S: If you are wondering why am I posting only videos with other great young pianists instead of those with me, you should know that my greatness is yet to come. :P
Currently working on:
Bach prelude and fugue No.20
Beethoven Waldstein
Chopin Polonaise-Fantasie Op.61
Chopin Etude Op.25 No.6
Liszt T.E. No.8
Ravel Piano Concerto

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: (Maybe) The New Argerich
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 10:27:04 AM
you should know that my greatness is yet to come. :P

So, it would appear, is your judgment.

BTW, did Agerich ever record this or any of the other Mephistos? Can't say I can find one and it would be interesting to hear.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline martha96

Re: (Maybe) The New Argerich
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 01:38:21 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think there is any recording of Argerich playing the Mephistos, :( but I heard she played the first one for friends. She recorded few of the pieces she actually played. For example, she played Schumann's Toccata to 'test' her technique or Liszt's Second Ballade, but never recorded those (damn it :(( ). I'm a fanatic when it comes to Martha and Adela's technique, bulky forearms and crystal clear sound remind me of her.  :)
Currently working on:
Bach prelude and fugue No.20
Beethoven Waldstein
Chopin Polonaise-Fantasie Op.61
Chopin Etude Op.25 No.6
Liszt T.E. No.8
Ravel Piano Concerto

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert