Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Liszt Mazeppa  (Read 1088 times)

Offline david456103

• PS Silver Member
Liszt Mazeppa
on: November 28, 2014, 06:45:15 PM
Hi guys,
I'm going to be entering a competition and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on one of my videos! I'm debating whether or not to make a new recording of the piece.
Thanks!

Offline jicjac123

Re: Liszt Mazeppa
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 06:49:50 PM
your very good, the recording was superb. i cannot think of any criticisms.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 10:10:41 PM
Holy crap, the talent on this forum never ceases to amaze me.

Did not get to hear all of it, but if I were to make a criticism it would be that you seem to tense up a little with your octaves and this robs you of a some fire perhaps.

Damned good show.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 01:49:19 AM
It's very good. A little detail - in the introductory chord sequence, I think you could do with a bit more body to the sound, and don't let off the pressure: the apparent small diminuendo around 0.10 makes it sounds slightly apologetic when it should be a bold statement. Excellent work!
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline erick86

Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 07:10:06 AM
Epic performance.  Very well done & solid!

I agree with the comment about your octaves.  You appear to be using a lot of energy moving up and down on the keys as your thumb passes from white to black.  It creates that sawing back-and-forth motion which can be greatly reduced by staying high on the white keys, and low on the black keys.  Not only does it use less energy and can increase the speed and accuracy with which the octaves can be played, but it also appears more effortless from a spectator's point of view.  And the aura of a Great Performer is created when everything looks effortless despite its difficulty.  The rest of your performance definitely has a sense of ease and control.  Just the octaves is all I can think of mentioning!

Bravo!

Eric
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert