Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Impossible note in Liebstraume?  (Read 1478 times)

Offline alpacinator1

• PS Silver Member
Impossible note in Liebstraume?
on: December 12, 2014, 02:36:23 AM

So, uh, how am I supposed to play that? Who can span a 12th?

Is it supposed to be split up so the top note is played with the right hand?
Working on:
Beethoven - Waldstein Sonata
Bach - C minor WTC I
Liszt - Liebestraume no. 3
Chopin - etude 25-12

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Re: Impossible note in Liebstraume?
Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 02:49:29 AM
almost definitely should be played with right hand. Curious why he didn't write it in the upper staff, though. Maybe to provide association as a chord with the low C, or maybe he didn't feel like adding ledger lines. You could, I guess, roll the chord, but that seems like the worse solution.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 06:48:03 PM
It's supposed to be rolled with the left hand.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 09:32:41 PM
It's supposed to be rolled with the left hand.

The editor certainly agrees, given the suggested fingering. FWIW, I also agree - and I think the tenths should also be rolled - not hugely, but rolled nonetheless.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 12:58:31 AM
The main issue with rolling is musical:

1) play the bass note before the beat
2) play the bass note on the beat

If you play it before, this could mean the upper note will be played simultaneously with the melody.  Thus, the resultant 4th interval (with the melody) doesn't sound very good in this context.  If played on the beat, then there wouldn't be a 4th.  I'm still undecided on this but whether or not it's on the beat or before changes depending on the measure because the intervals change.  However, I've had satisfying results when neither of the bass notes interferes with the melody, i.e. the bass notes are played 1) before, and 2) the second note after the melody.  It adds more musical texture this way.

Offline erick86

Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 02:05:34 AM
Quote from: alpacinator1
Who can span a 12th?

Rachmaninoff can.  

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 02:34:26 AM
Rachmaninoff can.  

Could, perhaps.

In any case, Liszt had never heard of him.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert