Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Schumann Fantasie op.17, 1st mov.  (Read 1112 times)

Offline jgendron

Schumann Fantasie op.17, 1st mov.
on: December 18, 2014, 06:12:56 PM
Hi everyone !

I'm thinking of beginning the first movement of the Schumann Fantasie op.17. After trying it out a few times, I found that my biggest struggle is the very beginning : the theme with that very fast arpeggiated left hand. I am pretty sure I can play the rest pretty well, it really fits my technique, my taste and my will to learn it. I know it is a very difficult piece to interpret but I have played a few pieces that I think would fit that particular criteria (Chopin's first Ballade, 4th Scherzo and even Polonaise-Fantasy, or Schumann's Abegg Variations, for example).

So, how should I practice so I make sure that that left hand is smooth, fast, and "easy" ? I'm looking here for your personal little tricks. I practice it slowly and in rhythms so far, of course.

Thank you for your replies !

J.