Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Royal College vs Royal Academy vs Guildhall vs Trinity  (Read 7233 times)

Offline aurelien1

Royal College vs Royal Academy vs Guildhall vs Trinity
on: December 22, 2014, 09:03:52 PM
Hi everyone!

I am starting this new thread because the similar ones that I found on the forum are quite old by now.

I have been admitted in Royal College of Music, Royal Academy of Music, Guildhall School and Trinity Laban to start a Bachelor on sept. 2015.
Could you help me to choose 1 of these schools ? Which teacher would you recommend in that school ?
I really need your advice because in France (where I live) nobody could recommend me a teacher in London...

Thanks! :)

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Re: Royal College vs Royal Academy vs Guildhall vs Trinity
Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 06:42:27 AM
Hi and CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!

Hi everyone!

I am starting this new thread because the similar ones that I found on the forum are quite old by now.

I have been admitted in Royal College of Music, Royal Academy of Music, Guildhall School and Trinity Laban to start a Bachelor on sept. 2015. Could you help me to choose 1 of these schools ? Which teacher would you recommend in that school ? I really need your advice because in France (where I live) nobody could recommend me a teacher in London...

Thanks! :)   

hehhee ;) ;D  sounds familiar as we had the exact same problem you have 2 years ago.  The daughter of friends of ours will be coming back to vacation next week.  She studies at the Royal College ..... I will try to ask her for names and will PM you.  AGAIN CONGRATULATIONS!!

emill
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 04:34:07 PM
The best you can do is to try to get a lesson or two with some teachers that seems interesting. Read their biographies, and try to find students who studied with them.

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 08:29:23 PM
Congratulations! If you've been offered a place at all four it suggests you've got a lot to recommend you :-)

What are your repertoire interests? It might help us to recommend possible teachers for you.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline aurelien1

Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 12:58:03 PM
Hi, thanks for the answers.
The problem is that I have to choose 1 school before February, and I can't go to London by then to meet the teachers...

I will defintely have some consultation lessons after I've confirmed 1 of the schools. There is a great number of teachers so I won't be able to meet everyone: I have to start making a choice of maybe 4 teachers for consultation lessons. That's why I need some help!

For repertoire : mainly great piano classics. also interested in contemporary music (but not my priority for the next couple of years).

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 01:32:10 PM
Is money an issue?
Cause even though RCM is said to be a good school, I'm not sure if it's worth its out-of-this-world expensive study fee.

So have a look at the main teachers boigraphy. See if anyone interest you more than others. As in, if someone studied with, say, Neuhaus, he might be more interesting than a teacher who studied with someone who wasn't as great. Also see if they "produced" a few good students, and then listen to those students.

And also make sure the teachers are into the same repertoire as you.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 02:34:47 PM
The RAM has got the better library.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 08:16:13 AM
Is money an issue?
Cause even though RCM is said to be a good school, I'm not sure if it's worth its out-of-this-world expensive study fee. 

A very RELEVANT ISSUE especially for us coming from developing countries.  In fact as far as my son was concerned it was the  M A I N  consideration over and above the teacher and the school. We were "lucky" that NEC, OBERLIN, EASTMAN and San Francisco Conservatory offered 2/3 or more of tuition as a scholarship grant. Peabody, Mannes & Manhattan offered a little less, from 30-50% of tuition.  Without the scholarship it would have been GOODBYE to studying abroad.

If money is not an issue as it would seem, you would be MORE free with your choices and focusing on the teacher as suggested here is the best thing to do.  You will really have to do your homework on checking prospective teachers as your schedule seems to be tight.  GOOD LUCK!!

Will get back to you in a week or two as soon as I have the names of the faculty at the Royal College from someone who is studying there and will be coming home here very soon.
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline aurelien1

Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 06:30:43 PM
Yes money is an issue but the scholarships I got are almost the same amount from one school to the other. (Royal academy is slightly more generous)  So it is not really a criteria! Anyway thanks for the answers. :)

Offline antoine9

Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 11:35:09 AM
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert