Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: video: mozart k310 practice  (Read 4642 times)

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Re: video: mozart k310 practice
Reply #50 on: December 27, 2014, 11:59:15 PM
Once the happy part (or major, as some music snobs would call it) play it in a different tempo. I don't agree with faulty that it should go slower though. I think you should start in the same tempo, and then go faster and faster, as you'd speak, full of excitement!Imagine that you hear really good news, and that you tell everyone about it. You'd start in a normal speed, and end up in uncontrolled ecstasy. That's the true way of playing Mozart. That's the true way of speaking it, and therefore the way of playing piano!

I was just going to ignore you because of the unhelpful sarcasm but I'll address this tempo issue again.

Spoken speech has numerous minute tempo changes.  I referred to it as rate of speech earlier.  However, no one notices these minute tempo changes.  Likewise, there are numerous changes in the speed in music, but good execution makes these changes invisible because the listener is focusing on what is being expressed.  Poor execution of expression results in the listener hearing more than just the tempo changes but all the minute details of articulation, dynamics, phrasing, etc.

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Re: video: mozart k310 practice
Reply #51 on: December 28, 2014, 07:19:44 AM
Aha! The so called freedom of speech!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert