Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Awaiting Me Like The Light Awaits The Day - Original composition  (Read 1198 times)

Offline drexo

• PS Silver Member
Hi everyone,

Composed this piece a few months ago; any feedback and/or tips are welcome!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjhDy-4_NAE

Greetings,
Evert

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Re: Awaiting Me Like The Light Awaits The Day - Original composition
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 08:41:40 PM
I've listened to this a couple of times just to get the ideas in my ear.  The ideas are very clear and is expressed very well by your playing.

Now from a classical perspective, I would intensify certain ideas (increasing dynamics and tempo) and pull back others (lowering dynamics, slow it down more).  This helps make the musical ideas more distinct and has greater emotional pull.  Your performance, relatively speaking, was a bit too flat on these points.

Lastly, the biggest flaw is the recording which doesn't have enough reverb so it sounds too confined, like it was miked too close.  A little bit of space and it can provide enough warmth and air.  I don't know if your DP has a warmth mode but that can help greatly in pieces that need a more tender tone.

Offline drexo

• PS Silver Member
I've listened to this a couple of times just to get the ideas in my ear.  The ideas are very clear and is expressed very well by your playing.

Now from a classical perspective, I would intensify certain ideas (increasing dynamics and tempo) and pull back others (lowering dynamics, slow it down more).  This helps make the musical ideas more distinct and has greater emotional pull.  Your performance, relatively speaking, was a bit too flat on these points.

Lastly, the biggest flaw is the recording which doesn't have enough reverb so it sounds too confined, like it was miked too close.  A little bit of space and it can provide enough warmth and air.  I don't know if your DP has a warmth mode but that can help greatly in pieces that need a more tender tone.

Hi there faulty_damper,

First of all; many thanks for listening, constructive criticism and ideas!

It was quite difficult to express myself dynamically to the full extent, also because the clean recording comes out very disappointing through the USB port. Without any slight editing in Cubase, the clean recording feels even more distant; not even to talk about the volume output which is a pure disaster. Not being used to work with software like Cubase, it was a difficult task to fulfill to make the recording somewhat acceptable. Do you have any expertise regarding this subject? If you have, I'd love to know how to edit the recording more properly.

As far as the warmth mode: for this particular recording I've used the combination of the "bright/normal" brilliance-sound. I will give it a try playing this composition on the "normal" or "mellow" mode and see how that'll work out. To add some more reverb, Cubase will come in handy I guess.

Thanks again and I will definitely keep your ideas in mind!

Greetings,
Evert

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert